How to stop meaw at 5 am?

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love my tomcat meowing. I think that is what a cat should do to take care of him/her self. I do not care hearing mewoing al night long. But I am not alone in my house.

My 11 months old intact tomcat meows at 5 a.m. He likes my bed. I do not care him slipping or moving on my bed. But he got the habit to have a walk over my head at midnight and at 5 a.m - when he also meows. Long, melodic meows (that meoweeeee --rrrrr---lll---awwww ! type, pretty haunting I may say :-)).

I let him full bowl during night,  so I see no reason in waking me up at 5 a.m. as I cant gibe him more food. 

I want this furry warrior to meow from 7 a.m. as much as he likes- all day long if he likes to, I do not care. And I want him to avoid walking on my head at 5 a.m. - he could walk all rest of the house, except this area. That is because I can hit him badly with no intention.

Any considerations, suggestions - warmly welcomed!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He likely is hearing a female outside and wants to get out. Getting him neutered may solve or reduce the problem. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I do not want him to stop meowing at all, but just to start later.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It won't stop him meowing all together. It will curb the yowling in response to females. Not to mention he won't contribute to overpopulation if he gets out.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He is strictly indoor, 8th floor. No escape.

I want him to response to female a bit later.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

He is strictly indoor, 8th floor. No escape.

I want him to response to female a bit later.
You plan to mate him later?  

Tomcats develop unpleasant behaviors that you and they can't really control.  These are more likely to remain permanent the longer you wait to neuter.  He is meowing because he is looking for a female, and uncomfortable because he can't find one.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well said.

No, I am not planning to mate him. I mean, I want him to start meawing (responding to females) later in the morning, say 6-7 not 5 a,.m. I know it looks un-common, but I love living with animals and I enjoy the feeling of wilderness, although it is only a bit of wilderness in an indoor cat, I admit.

I am looking around for an alternative surgery to testicle removal. Perhaps a vasectomy.

Last edited:

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The testicles are not there for reproduction alone. I am also in favor of limiting the surgical intervention to what is necessary.

Honestly, since there would be very limited experience with vasectomy (or other similar intervention) I am not very confident in this one as well.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Endocrine equilibrium (balance).

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I want this furry warrior to meow from 7 a.m. as much as he likes- all day long if he likes to, I do not care. And I want him to avoid walking on my head at 5 a.m. - he could walk all rest of the house, except this area. That is because I can hit him badly with no intention.

Any considerations, suggestions - warmly welcomed!
Tell him what you want, and then get him a wristwatch.

lisajo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A neuter does not remove the testicles. Also, they live longer when neutered so why not?

I had a tommy and by the time I neutered him, it was too late, he tried every way possible 

to beat up or chase a cat onto a roof, in a tree, it was sad to see him not be able to take comfort on my bed

at night and relax.

I loved him dearly though. A pure white blue eyed Angora, I should have mated him then , now they are extinct except in

Denmark. O well, I did what I thought was best.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feed him at 04:59.  

Seriously though neutering may help.  Also, he really may just want a little snack that will placate him until you get up.  

Edited:

Sorry, can you please explain "...I can hit him badly with no intention"?

Last edited:

lisajo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From what vets have told me and I rescued cats and got them neutered, they make an incision,

yes, in between the testicles, and tie off the part gave deliver the goods,(sperm).

My guys still have their testicles, it's just that they are deflated now!

They still have their penis part too, sorry to be so graphic. I think they still produce some hormones.

A female is the whole kit and kaboodle, an entire hysterectomy, and the hormones stop fast and it is

more complicated and traumatic for the little girls.

lisajo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is weird, my 6 year old Oriental mix who is very sensitive will walk around at around 3 am

and cry as if she is ailing. I happened to wake up and can hear her, sometimes playing with a 

jingle ball.So I got up to go get her and she doesn't want me to comfort her.

I also noticed my boy(neutered) doing the same exact thing, just meowing away and I don't have any idea

why, any comments?

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Feed him at 04:59.  

Seriously though neutering may help.  Also, he really may just want a little snack that will placate him until you get up.  

Edited:

Sorry, can you please explain "...I can hit him badly with no intention"?
When wake up by something on my head I may defend myself and push the cat to hard or throw the cat away.

And your joke is actually a good suggestion - to feed him later.

lisajo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe he is telling you that he wants a girlfriend or that he wants you to neuter him so he can get a full nites sleep.