How to stop kitten play biting?

dillydolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 10 week old kitten Luna has been getting worse with play biting hands recently. I've read the tiles, I've tried distracting her with a toy but she's never interested in any of them (even new ones), I've tried ignoring her but then she tries to get your arms, I've tried walking away but she chases and goes for my legs, I've tried putting her on the floor whenever she bites but she jumps straight back on the bed and thinks its a game. I've tried hissing, I've tried telling her no in a loud voice. Nothing seems to be working.

I know this isn't her fault cos I know that we got her too young at 8 weeks but we didn't have a choice. And right now, my boyfriend doesn't want another kitten which I think would be exactly what she needs.

I'm running out of ideas and it's starting to get painful. I know she's not being vicious, she's just playing, but her teeth are sharp and it's starting to leave marks on the skin where she drgs her teeth across it. I love her to bits but when she starts biting I'm finding it hard to keep calm now. And I know that isn't helping either. I play with her as much as I can but she never seems to settle.

Any ideas?

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are a few more after this, and to this day those scars remain. It took a lot of patience and consistent NOing before he stops doing it. He still does it occasionally, but he seemed to have learnt that I don't tolerate biting. 

Hopefully your hands won't end up like mine... but it IS going to try your patience. Getting another kitten is an "easy" way to deal with this, because the other kitten will teach her not to bite. You should try to convince your boyfriend, and in the process, you'd be saving the life of another kitten. And double the love!

bubbie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I first Samson home...he would come under the blanket and bite any part of my body that wasn't covered. Obviously... Samson slept in my bed. He was 3 mos old at that time. I didn't realize that he was biting me as a way to tell me he loved me... but it hurt. I think (for me) I was skiddish and Samson knew it. Now when he bites I know exactly why: I'm not giving him all my attention.... also, there are bites and there are bites... When he's cleaning me (yes..my face, arm pits, chin, etc)... there is the licking then a bite and sucking sound. He knows not to go for the tip of my nose but he does it anyway. You gotta let the kitten know that s/he is loved... and you'll find a common ground where the kitten will bite you less and when s/he does, you'll know why and what to do. I've been playing in bed with Samson. It's our "before bed regimen... hoping his sleep later..." Just when I think he's done and I'm typing...Samson bites my toe. I don't know if I'm doing what I'm supposed to...but after reading some of the posts on this site... I no longer flip my finger on Samson's nose.... spray him with water (never bothered him anyway)... no yelling (unless he bites me and it hurt...I do a loud Ouch and pretend to cry)...

There was a week when I entertained the thought of giving Samson to my friend who has two old Meezers.... Now, I won't even let Samson stay with her when I go away for the weekend.... Give your kitten a chance.... When Samson won't stop jumping on the kitchen counters.... or, continues to jump on the same plant (that has carpet nails purposely placed in the plant) no matter how many times I take him off... tell him NO...Off...and, he knows he's not supposed to go in the plant, I tell him that he's going into the room... I shut the door. I always let him out with a big hug and kiss. I don't if that's correct but I can't help it....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dillydolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not entirely sure why he doesn't want another kitten. He seems convinced that they won't be interested in us and will only want each others company. He also thinks that cats aren't social animals and are quite happy to be on their own. He also thinks that she will grow out of it. Every time I bring up the idea of getting another kitten he seems to think that I want to replace Luna and that I'm not enjoying her.

Thank you for the suggestions. As I was typing this she actually jumped on the bed and tried to bite my hand. I hissed at her and she stopped and walked away. That didn't happen the last time I tried it!

artem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Any reason why? Two kittens are not much more work (in fact, some say it's less because they have each other to entertain themselves, saving you most of the attention-giving work). We always encourage, if your situation allows it, that you have a kitten playmate for your kitten. 

Hopefully your hands won't end up like mine... but it IS going to try your patience. Getting another kitten is an "easy" way to deal with this, because the other kitten will teach her not to bite. You should try to convince your boyfriend, and in the process, you'd be saving the life of another kitten. And double the love!
Admittedly, I am still very new to this and a first time kitten owner as well, but overruling your boyfriend on the second kitten issue seems like a bad idea. You don't want to bring home a kitten he's only going to resent.  You can certainly argue for one but if he feels coerced, forced or manipulated he may take it out on new kitten.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He seems convinced that they won't be interested in us and will only want each others company. 
Not true. Cats need human interaction (unless they're feral, but even ferals can "like" humans), especially kittens who aren't with their moms. 
He also thinks that cats aren't social animals and are quite happy to be on their own. 
Common misconception. Cats ARE social animals. They thrive on human companionship, even if they don't -look- like they need us. Cats who are neglected emotionally are at risk of developing behavioral problems later in life. At the very minimum, a cat needs food, shelter and playtime with their human every day. Even 10 minutes of petting and talking to them a day does wonders in curbing problematic behaviors.
 He also thinks that she will grow out of it. 
Probably. But the best way for her to grow out of it is if someone teaches her that it's not acceptable, whether by you or another kitten. Do you really want to wait and see (and keep getting scratch marks in the meantime)? Cats do keep some of their kitten instincts, such as kneading and purring at their caregivers. 
Every time I bring up the idea of getting another kitten he seems to think that I want to replace Luna and that I'm not enjoying her.
Catering to a kitten's need (in this case, a playmate) is far from wanting to replace her. Explain that to him. How badly do you want to keep Luna? How far are you willing to go to ensure she has what she needs? Pretty far, I assume. 

Admittedly, I am still very new to this and a first time kitten owner as well, but overruling your boyfriend on the second kitten issue seems like a bad idea. You don't want to bring home a kitten he's only going to resent.  You can certainly argue for one but if he feels coerced, forced or manipulated he may take it out on new kitten.
Disagree. 

Someone who can "take it out on the new kitten" will do it whether or not it's the second, third, or fourth kitten. If my partner cannot respect my decision to want to reasonably provide my kitten with what she needs, then I'm not sure they're the right partner for me, especially when we aren't even married yet. If my partner is the type to take it out on a defenseless creature, they may very well do it when we fight, for example. It doesn't have to be a second kitten. 

dillydolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't particularly want to wait and see if she grows out of it but for now, the best I can do is try and teach her not to bite while I try and persuade my boyfriend to let us get another kitten. Luckily my arms don't look like yours yet and hopefully it won't get that bad!

I've tried to explain that another kitten would be great for her but he doesn't believe it at the moment. Hopefully he will soon.

I definitely wouldn't get another kitten without him agreeing to it. That wouldn't be fair on him or the kitten. He isn't the type of person that would take it out on the cat though. And he's the only one that drives so I wouldn't be able to go and get a kitten without his say so anyway :lol3:

He has faith that Luna will stop biting soon and has told me I need to have faith in her too. We will see what happens!

artem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't particularly want to wait and see if she grows out of it but for now, the best I can do is try and teach her not to bite while I try and persuade my boyfriend to let us get another kitten. Luckily my arms don't look like yours yet and hopefully it won't get that bad!

I've tried to explain that another kitten would be great for her but he doesn't believe it at the moment. Hopefully he will soon.

I definitely wouldn't get another kitten without him agreeing to it. That wouldn't be fair on him or the kitten. He isn't the type of person that would take it out on the cat though. And he's the only one that drives so I wouldn't be able to go and get a kitten without his say so anyway

He has faith that Luna will stop biting soon and has told me I need to have faith in her too. We will see what happens!
That sounds like a reasonable plan.  He knows a second kitten is an option and may come to the same conclusion as you in time or she may improve as he hopes.

quiet

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One thing to remember is the kitten isn't a person or a child, and doesn't think like a person does. Try to imagine for a minute that you are a kitten and a kittens size and imagine what it would be to look at the world that way. To not be a person but a cat and think like a cat is almost impossible to actually fathom. We are that different cats and people. Just think about the sheer size difference. it is amazing that these kittens want anything to do with us at all.

There is no way to teach a kitten this young to not do something by trying to communicate like you are a cat. It won't work. Also can intimidate the kitten although I doubt that will happen with your kitten.

Does your boyfriend play with the kitten at all? Does he play with the kitten with his hands? I bet he does because almost all men I have seen interact with cats seem to wind up rubbing a cats belly while the cat chews on their hand. Just my own observation. But make sure that isn't happening because that is mixed signals to the kitten. Often people play with the kitten with their hand and all if fun and good till the kitten plays to rough or plays when not convenient for the person

The kitten needs to have a place to go that is not in the direct line with people. This place should have water food and litter and is not to be treated as a punishment or as a dog crate training type of thing. It is only a place to remove kitten, like an extra bedroom or a large flight carrier, from a potential over excitement situation.

Learn your cats behavior and get so you can tell when she is going to start the biting. Just pay attention and remove her to her happy place before that happens. You can remove her with a treat or some food. You just need to be sure that she does not bite you. Also when she gets or starts to get worked up don't touch her. Don't look at her. Just get the treat or food and let them follow you into where ever the quiet place is and close the door or cage and walk away. After giving them the food of course.

Do you or anyone in your family scruff the kitten? If so that needs to stop right away as well.

So.. IMPO,

Make sure nobody is playing with hands with the kitten.

Get a play time that is the same time each day.

This is to be done with a toy such as Da Bird or a string/feather toy and should be done for about 10 minutes or until the kitten either loses interest, gets worn out or starts breathing real fast or panting.

Learn what precedes the biting and encourage kitten to happy place with food then let kitten remain alone in happy place for about 10 minutes or until the kitty crazy look is no longer in kittens eye.

Do not stare at kitten

Do not think that the kitten thinks like a person or is capable of thoughts such as people . Remember kittens think very little and what they do think is thought like a kitten not a child or person.

No yelling at kitten or any sort of punishment.

Make sure all in the house are on board with what you are doing.

No scruffing of kitten or excessive picking up of kitten. Remember to respect kitten in order for kitten to respect you.

Good luck. If you are patient and consistent it will all be fine

dillydolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your advice. Yes my boyfriend does play with her and up until recently had been using his hand, exactly as you described. Now though, he has stopped that because he realises that it isn't helping the problem and its getting more painful.

We can now tell when she's in the mood to start biting when we stroke her (still just trying to play) so now we either leave her to play with her toys, or I use a wand toy or laser pen.

It would be hard to have a set play time each day as I work different shifts all the time. I do however play with her in the morning, a couple of tines during the day and afternoon, and in the evening. As well as any other time she wants to play.

She's never been scruffed and never will be and we don't shout at her either.

bubbie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Practice makes perfect. I'm sitting at my dining room table at 5:15am on Saturday having my first cup of coffee.... Why?