How To Stop Kitten From Jumping On People

catloverlady

My cat is a princess
Adult Cat
Purraise
So of course my kitten wants to be up by people so sometimes she'll jump on family members and it does hurt when you feel her nails on your back. Is saying no, no and putting her down on the floor the best way to train her?

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
How often do you trim her claws? See if they are getting too long. Not all cats keep them on, but you can also try Soft Paws, claw caps that prevent damage to what a cat scratches (and pain when they jump on laps). I never tried them on a cat, but it can't hurt.

Simply putting a cat on the floor does not teach her to never do it again It tells her, "I don't want you on my lap now." When I tell Daisy no, she stops, but later she will do it again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverlady

My cat is a princess
Adult Cat
Purraise
How often do you trim her claws? See if they are getting too long. Not all cats keep them on, but you can also try Soft Paws, claw caps that prevent damage to what a cat scratches (and pain when they jump on laps). I never tried them on a cat, but it can't hurt.

Simply putting a cat on the floor does not teach her to never do it again It tells her, "I don't want you on my lap now." When I tell Daisy no, she stops, but later she will do it again.
We have been keeping her claws trimmed but soon she's due again.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is she? Once she gets a big bigger, she'll no longer be able to "climb" people. That doesn't mean she won't occasionally "surprise" you by suddenly stretching up your legs and digging in her claws. ;)

So, if you can, keeping her claws trimmed is the best solution. Here's an article with more info: How To Best Take Care Of Cat Claws

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverlady

My cat is a princess
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old is she? Once she gets a big bigger, she'll no longer be able to "climb" people. That doesn't mean she won't occasionally "surprise" you by suddenly stretching up your legs and digging in her claws. ;)

So, if you can, keeping her claws trimmed is the best solution. Here's an article with more info: How To Best Take Care Of Cat Claws
Thank you and yes her claws are kept trimmed but of course if she's jumping on someone's leg or leaping up on their back when they're standing she uses the claws to grab and even when trimmed it can hurt. I know it's probably just because she is a kitten and only a little over 4 months old. Today she was about to jump on my dad but once he saw that look in her eye, he said no and she surprisingly didn't jump up.