How to stop cat from scooting?

neuross

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! I'm new here. My husband and I have just adopted a 3yrs old domestic cat about a month ago. Everything went well except our cat loves to scoot on our sofa or bed View media item 323509
Everytime she does that, we will check her butt. There's no poo residue stuck at her butt. She's a shorthair cat by the way.  She does it as and when she sit on the sofa or the bed. Not right after she pee or poo. She has been dewormed when we adopted her. So, we brought her to the vet for a check and expressed her anal glands but the minute she's home, she did it again right in front of our eyes

We suspect that it's an habitual thingy. She loves scooting on smooth, cloth surface. Cos we didn't see her scooting on tiles, wooden floor, furry carpet....etc. Anyone has this same experience? Any way to stop her from doing it. We tried spraying water at her or clap to make loud noise to stop her from scooting but that didn't help too. She will be shocked for 1 second then she continue with the scooting

For those who don't understand what I am talking about... you can check out this video on Youtube.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neuross

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As I mentioned in my post, already dewormed & vet has expressed her anal glands but she still scoots. Looks like she enjoys doing it

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oops missed the anal glands you mentioned - deworming is repeated few weeks after first dosage, Perhaps changing diet will help? 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few ideas -

Repeat the deworming if needed. Could she still be insecure in her new home? Maybe a feliway diffuser would help. Is she spayed?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'd suggest having her dewormed again too. One of my cats tested negative for worms about a month ago but then threw up a pile of worms about two weeks after that. They don't always show up in the test and if a cat has a bad worm infestation it can take a couple of doses of the worming medicine to get rid of them all.

You could ask your vet to do another stool test if you don't want to deworm her without good reason. You just need to take a poop sample to your vet.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenever one of mine does that I go straight for the dewormer. I have to do my outdoor cats every month.