How to stop cat from dragging litter all over the house?

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wasn't sure where to put this one, so figured 'behavior' is as good as any. This problem seems to be getting worse as she gets older. There have been no changes in the litter, nor the amount in her two boxes. As they get older, are they just less 'neat' in how they do their business? Does more stick to their paws? I have a litter mat outside the box she uses the most, but it still winds up all over. I think I could probably sweep that entire room (where her box is) just about every day. Not a big deal, but it's just that the stuff is probably not the most sanitary things to be laying around in places where we walk (like especially with bare feet?) Thanks for any ideas.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also have a litter mat like the one A Alldara has. The trick to mine working though is I have to pull the majority out from underneath the front because it's not super long.. this way when kitty gets out all r paws are on the mat and she has to take at least 2 steps before she is off the mat.
Even with her mat I still have to sweep a little right by her litterbox around the mat I swear it's like she jumps out of the litter box with her little fists full of litter lol.. but the majority is on the mat. And a little right in the general area.
Did this just recently start happening all of a sudden?
How old is she?
Could she possibly be experiencing pain so she is jumping and running out of her litter box?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I actuaIIy have two mats for one box, because Hek is a digger. I didn't particuIarIy care for the honeycomb ones, but this does the trick for me:

Amazon.com

Two together, side by side, aIIows for fuII, generous coverage, and the matting takes at Ieast 80% of the Iitter off of her paws as she exits, which was aIso a probIem!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actuaIIy have two mats for one box, because Hek is a digger. I didn't particuIarIy care for the honeycomb ones, but this does the trick for me:

Amazon.com

Two together, side by side, aIIows for fuII, generous coverage, and the matting takes at Ieast 80% of the Iitter off of her paws as she exits, which was aIso a probIem!
I think I'm going to get one like this one.. I don't like the honeycomb one I have too much.. is the material of the one you have rough though because when I got the one I have now I saw one like the one u have but figured it would be hard on her little paws..

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Amazon.com

Ah we use pellets so those ones didn't catch anything. They worked quite well when we had corn litter though!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think I'm going to get one like this one.. I don't like the honeycomb one I have too much.. is the material of the one you have rough though because when I got the one I have now I saw one like the one u have but figured it would be hard on her little paws..
Not reaIIy. It's soft enough that, if it were not what it was, I couId comfortabIy sit or Iie down on it. It Iooks quite rough, but feeIs pretty smooth to the hand...MUCH smoother than they honeycomb ones!

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going against the grain, I didn't find the litter mats helpful - but Phoebe is a champion hurler, lol. I find it's less nuisance now that I use pea fibre litter. Yes, she still hurls it around, and it does track, but it's a lot better than clay litter.

(Should add that the litter's in the bathroom, so easy to sweep up whenever they use it.)

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooo, pea fiber? Gotta check into that one ...
It's also called tofu, despite not actually being tofu, lol - at least that's the case with the Australian brand I use (don't know if it's available overseas). It's very good, has activated charcoal and baking soda in it to combat odour, and a 4kg bag lasts my two about three weeks.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pea fiber. That's interesting. Hek uses corncob, which does track, but feeI siIky under her paws. YES, I tested it on my hands when I first got it! I wanted to make sure she'd be comfy!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've found that litter adheres to this type of mat well. It's supposed to be used by businesses at their front doors to get the wet off your shoes and keep you from slipping on the tile floors. They feel like wool and have a pattern in them which helps clean kitty paws. The backing helps keep them in place and they have a decent weight to them so she won't be dragging them around. They are sort of the adult version of the litter box mat. Yes, they are big, but that will help solve your problem. They small enough to take outside and beat with a broom, but vacuuming is better.

1692033631151.png

Amazon.com: MATALL Front Door Mat 2 Pack Indoor and Outdoor Welcome Mat, Absorbent and Drain Away Water Heavy Duty Entryway Doormat for Front Back Doors, Laundry Rooms, Mudrooms and More, 29.5x17.5IN : Patio, Lawn & Garden