How To Stop Cat From Crossing A Busy Road

Dogirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi y'all
We have two kittens a boy and a girl 10 weeks old from the same litter. My fear is that our boy will like all our other lovely lads. Try to cross the busy road outside our property and be run over. PLEASE if you have any advice as to how to prevent that from happening I would be most grateful to hear from you. ><

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi y'all
We have two kittens a boy and a girl 10 weeks old from the same litter. My fear is that our boy will like all our other lovely lads. Try to cross the busy road outside our property and be run over. PLEASE if you have any advice as to how to prevent that from happening I would be most grateful to hear from you. ><
Is your cat allowed outside? One obvious solution is to not let them out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dogirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. As they're very young they're restricted to the house only. When they're older we would like to allow them out. Therein lies the dilemma. Yes we could limit them to the house only but feel they should experience the outdoors.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You really have to keep them inside. If you let them roam around outside they will get hit by a car. There are also at risk from other animals that may hurt them, feral cats that may pass on worms, fleas, mites, Feline Aids, Feline Infectious Leukemia, Feline Distemper, scabies or ringworm, just to mention a few.

As they are young you should start getting them used to wearing a harness around the house so you can take them for walks when they get older. Or you could think about making them an outdoor catio.

Plenty of cats live long happy lives indoors though. There really is no need to risk death or serious injury by allowing them to go out.

Dogirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your informative reply. It's appreciated. Do you think it's possible to construct an electric perimeter fence similar to the dog variety currently in use? It would deliver a mild shock as a deterrent thereby allowing them the use of the property and not wonder on to the busy road. Does something like this exist?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
No, electric fence don't work very well with cats. They are easier to keep in if you put up a perimeter fence with proper cat proof fencing or make them a catio with a roof. This kind of fencing prevents the cats from climbing out.

Cat enclosures like this are even better, because there is no danger of other animals climbing in. If you Google Cat Enclosures and Cat Proof Fences you'll see loads of great ideas.

Dogirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Gosh you're amazing. What a brilliant idea. I'll most definitely Google that. Thank you so very much seems so inadequate. You've really helped me out. You're a star

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You're welcome.

:blush:

Please come back and share some pictures of whatever you end up making for them.

Dogirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I most definitely will ;D

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you own your home, an enclosed cat yard would be best if you want to allow your cats access outdoors and keep them safe at the same time. You can Google seach for "catios" and "outdoor cat enclosures". You can DIY one yourself or buy a pre-made one and have it installed. Here are some ideas:

Catio Spaces: Custom & DIY Catios & Cat Enclosures
pinterest.com/habitatnetwork/catio-ideas/
pinterest.com/explore/outdoor-cat-enclosure/
Suncatcher Cat Cages & Enclosures
51 Outdoor Cat Enclosures Your Cat | ComfyDwelling.com
Kitty Enclosure - Eclectic - Landscape - Phoenix

If you live where ther is a cold winter with snow and storms, you do need to include an enclosed shelter so the cats can get out of the window and elements when they are outside in their enclosed yard if they are out for more than a couple of minutes. A shelter is needed for the summer, too, so cats can seek refuge from the bright hot sun and hot temperatures.

Dogirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. Very much appreciated :wave3:

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don't like the looks of a "catio". Think more in terms of building yourself a small patio, with a roof, and screened in to keep the bugs out.
This allows you a place to sit, relax, enjoy the back yard with no bugs.
And it allows your cat a place to do the same.

Dogirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. Appreciated:blush: