How to solve "not eating" puzzle

Mama Pip

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
My 4 year old spade kitty started turning away from the food she had been eating regularly for 2 years (royal canin fiber response dry) during early November 2022. It was within a week of the climate change and the heat starting to run regularly. We tried coaxing her with numerous other foods, knowing that this could lead to constipation issues that the fiber response food had managed well for 2 years. For the next 2 weeks we hobbled along, getting her to show some interest in Purina sensitive skin/stomach dry and eventually purina healthy kitten dry when she turned nose up at other purina food. We always augment with wet food too, but eventually she was eating so little, we took her to the vet. For most part, no other symptoms other than mild reduction in her sassiness level. The vet wasn't too worried, but I asked for bloodwork, which came back with elevated liver enzymes (ALT and Albumin) and WBC. Her calcium also high (which had happened once in October 2020 but resolved 2 wks later after stopping lactulose and starting her on the fiber response food). So she got a Convenia shot, her appetite returned, she started eating purina again -- until about 10 days later, she started slowly not eating as much again. We had her blood re-checked and her liver values were normal. Her Ca levels still slightly high (had Michigan State run ionized calcium). Did another Convenia shot and again her appetite returned, and again, 10 days later her interest in food began declining. Meanwhile, I knew the threat of her constipation while not eating the fiber response would grow. So I tried to get her fiber through syringes of pure pumpkin, also added fortiflora. I didn't want to do yet another Convenia shot so I started giving her mitazapine to stimulate appetite, which did help, but then the constipation began and she landed in emergency situation at end of December when she had to get enema under anesthesia, followed by a Convenia shot. That day I tried a new bag of fiber response and she started eating it. She started having regular daily bowel movements, was eating well, until yet again at the 10 day mark, appetite reduction. I don't want to keep band-aiding this. I'm concerned about doing Convenia again (how hard is it on the kidneys?), plus that's not a sustainable plan. I also had a panel run with markers that would indicate cancer and that marker came back at zero, which is not a 100% guarantee but my vet says it almost rules out cancer.

Does anyone have any ideas ? Could this all have started with the climate change, drier air, irritation of airways causing susceptibility to infection in sinuses (she has had chronic snuffling and we have gotten used to it). Does she have an infection that is only slightly susceptible to Convenia but keeps coming back? It seemed to resolve the liver issue, but I wonder if that liver enzyme elevation situation was a result of the decline in eating or the going off the fiber food. She has had a run of doxycycline, but she has taken it for over a year due to chylamdia that is difficult to cure.

I'm desperate. Going back to vet today.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be from the congestion as that will impede a cat from smelling or tasting things as well and can cause less interest in food. If the vet can't take a sample of mucous from her nose - or the discharge from her eye - to test it for the type of bacteria it is, then it could be that Covenia - and even the doxycycline - isn't effective enough to rid her of the infection.

If these afflictions are tied to a viral condition, it would be helpful to know which virus. Antibiotics will work on the secondary infection that can be brought on by a virus but won't address the virus itself. Immune support supplements might be something to consider to help lessen the impact of a viral infection. I know of one that is talked about on this site a fair amount - DMG. Vetri DMG™ - VetriScience Laboratories

If she is prone to constipation, has there been any discussion about using a routine regimen of Miralax? If it would work for her, perhaps she could eat other foods that aren't fiber response ones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mama Pip

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you FeebysOwner. :) I am going to ask about doing a mucus sample from her nose today. She had this done once before (1.5 years ago), swabbing of eyes/nose/throat and that is how we discovered chlamydia which mostly affects her eyes when she has a flareup. She was on Doxy straight for 9 months and we stopped, then 6 weeks later, eye flare up ... so it's been a pulse therapy. I worry that whatever bacteria could be the culprit here has become resistant to Doxy as it is supposed to be good for URI/sinus infection. She doesn't seem to have a fever or any other symptoms, so sinus infection or URI of some sort seems plausible .... it sure would be good to be able to identify the bacteria and treat with antibiotic that the bacteria has susceptibility to .... erythromycin has been taken in past, but I was told it can be hard on the kidneys.

Mama Pip suffered a fractured pelvis before we brought her into our home as a pregnant stray 3 years ago. Her pelvic opening is 40-50% the size of normal, so the colon is bigger and the stool has to stay soft enough to squeeze through that narrowing. We didn't know this when we found her as stray, so an emergency c-section was our first vet visit with her when the babies wouldn't come out. She takes 1/4 teaspoon of miralax daily, sometimes more. We have a remote vet session with a nutritionist tomorrow to discuss the whole issue, as I really want to know what alternatives there are to RC gastro fiber response ... what is it about that food that is so magical in this department and can I replicate that in other ways .... I suspect the psyllium husk, but that's difficult to get into her outside of food she is willing to eat. I've tried. This kitty is complex!

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have them check her teeth. Although the fact that she stops eating every time the Convenia starts to wear off could be interesting.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The problem with psyllium is that is causing a bulkier stool. This might not be the right solution for her since she has the pelvic issue.

Are you doing 1/4 teaspoon of Miralax TWICE per day? One of my cats who is prone to constipation takes that much twice per day, dissolved in water, of course. And he only eats wet food, because the best thing for constipation is hydration. I have never figured out why they don't make that Fiber Response in a canned version :dunno:. Anyhoo, I just add the dissolved Miralax right into his wet food, plus add more water to his food. All my cats get water added to every single meal. The amount depends on what they are eating. Some cans are pretty soupy to begin with, and others are not. I don't want it to be too watery, but do want them plenty hydrated. Usually I add at minimum 1 tablespoon of water, sometimes a lot more.