How to solidify poop?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chowchow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm, if Dr. Pierson has written a book I've never heard of it. She may have recommended some books on her website. What kind of food have you been feeding your cats before switching to raw?

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm, if Dr. Pierson has written a book I've never heard of it. She may have recommended some books on her website. What kind of food have you been feeding your cats before switching to raw?

This was way way back, I would guess in the later 1980's long before internet access, or home computers.  For some reason her name is ringing a bell, and back then this diet was considered radical

To answer your question, they were on grain-free wellness chicken and turkey only, plus PureVita grain free chicken kibble at will.  Two of my guys are kittens and took really well to the raw.  I started a thread about starting 'Cold Turkey'.  We were completely kibble free as of yesterday, only 2 days after beginning.

chowchow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually, canned Wellness is one of the brands that Dr. Pierson also suggested because of the moisture content. Dry food is a big no-no which she explained thoroughly in her website.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you're jumping up and down with joy about Trader Joe's opening up soon in your area, I can't live without Trader Joe's!!!

This is odd...

I just fed my kitties their lunch, and included some pumpkin along with their turkey

They started carrying organic pumkin at Safeway, so I was using it for the first time today.  It didn't even look the same as the Libby's.  Both labels say '100 percent pumpkin in the ingredients.  They are a different color and texture.  The Libby's is oranger, I wonder if they are putting some of the skin in?  There are no colors added,  I would think it would have to be stated. There is definitely more water in the Libby's.  It does seem to me my kitties prefer the Libby's compared to this brand anyway (Farmer's Market).  Only one finished off  his pumpkin, but he was the one who needed it!

chowchow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Guess you'll have to forfeit the organic component; main thing is to get them to eat pumpkin if they need it to firm up their stool.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Guess you'll have to forfeit the organic component
I can't help but laugh, as if it's an ingredient
I looked closer when I went to freeze half of it, it's more of a texture thing than anything.  BTW it works for both loosening and softening stools.  That's why I was serving it at lunch for softening Clancy's stool.  Yummly, turkey and pumpkin!  Maybe he's just working all the junk food
out of his system!  There has been far less poop I've noticed.  They all gulp up the Libby's though.

chowchow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dr. Pierson explained to expect less poop from a raw diet, it's all in her amazing website, with poop photos even!  : )

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have four cats,my senior's stool was very very loose and in the mean time my 9 year old was suffering from constipation.  I tried the pumpkin first but after about 2 weeks they were turning up their noses and walking away from the dish.  I then switched to Miralax and what a difference it has made.  My senior's stool has solidified considerably and my nine year no longer suffers from constipation.  Two 5.5 ounce cans of cat food in four bowls and then each bowl gets 1/4 teaspoon of the miralax.  I told the vet what I was doing and he had no problem with it.

hbanan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Canned pumpkin. It has extremely high fiber content. Also maybe incorporate probiotics into the diet. 

isis123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Why not check with your vet and have him tested for worms? If he's negative (we hope), try using Hills Prescription Diet W/D. It's high fiber and I use it for my cat who has Irritable bowel syndrome, It comes in wet and dry formulas. Works for my cat. Good luck.

shanaskye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tonawanda, NY - a northern suburb of Buffalo
I recently had a severe problem with a very elderly cat. It wasn't even diarrhea anymore, it was like water.  I did alot of research and contacted a holistic vet.  I found a miracle!  It's called Slippery.  It comes in 400mg capsules.  I empty a capsule once a day into a can of wet food.  Within a week or so his chronic diarrhea has become normal poop!  I had been battling the problem for years with special foods and supplements form the vet with no success until I found Slippery Elm.  FYI - it works for people too ..... 3 capsules per day.  Hope this helps you as much as it has me.

thpeech

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try Fortiflora.  We had a cat like that.  I gave him some everyday for 2 weeks and then tried every other day.  If he slipped back I went back to everyday--At this point no problem.  It is like probionic for anilmals.