How to show love to cat?

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

CATS UNDERSTAND AFFECTION!!

That being a firmly established fact beyond all disupte,
, you can show your cat affection two ways: human ways and feline ways. And I'm convinced they understand human ways as well as feline ways. For the feline ways, just do what your cats do to you that you interpret as affection: head butts, side rubbing, blinkies, nose bumps, whatever. I do all that with my cats; I do back to the cat what the cat does to me, and they understand it and they love it.

I can't believe this is even being debated.
I give my babies so much love and affection and they give just as much back to me in kitty ways and in human ways.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4meezers3kids

FRANKLY, the more I read that is written by behaviorists, feline AND human, the happier I am not to BE one. They are so over-cautious about interpreting observations taht they cannot see their own HANDS IN FRONT OF THEIR FACES.

(explanation for rant: my human daughter was recently diagnosed as having very mild autism. Some of the OUTLANDISH claims made by psychs about emotional and intellectual deficiencies in these kids are absolutely ... &^%# outrageous). Not just for MY kid, but for ALL autistic kids and adults. Okay -- rant OVER.

I agree w/ Gingersmom -- I had one cat who ONLY tolerated verbal affection from me. But man, she SURE appreciated that. Look for the "slow blink," in response. I have another who KNEADS THE AIR in response to acknowledging his presence. They are all different and all show love (and not just HUNGER) in MANY, MANY ways!
And they EXPECT US to show love in many different ways, in return!
You're right about your daughter. I have mild autism, too (Asperger Syndrome) and I can certainly love people! It's more concrete and logical than warm-and-fuzzy; but when I love somebody, I'll do anything that will help them. Literally.

It's been said that all cats have Asperger's... I think it's true. Being natural introverts, focused on the material rather than the emotional and interpersonal, we often prefer contact in our own ways, at our own speed. Just like cats, we notice everything, get bothered by little things, and, yes, love people in our own way.

Maybe that's why I like cats so much.