How to shoot your kitties!!! OMG!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I have a Canon Powershot A85.

I normally use Auto, without flash preferably, and if I use the flash I try to block some of it with my finger.

It takes about 3 seconds for the actual picture to happen from the time I press the button - I miss SO many shots it makes me crazy.

Now that I have a Bengal, I'd like to be able to capture more "action" shots. Heck, she moves like lightening!

I'd also like to be able to take better close-ups - I love those crisp shots that so many here can take!

Can you give me any specific advise based upon my particular camera? It has too many settings, and I have never been much of a photog - point and shoot is the extent of my training, but with practice I have improved my composition at the very least.

Thanks for sharing your expertise with us!

GingersMom:

I have checked out your camera's specs and it is very decent. It allows lots of user adjustments mentioned in the mini guide. Your camera allows you to adjust aperture (amount of light gets into your camera) and shutter speed (how fast the shutter open and closes), as well as ISO setting (sensitivity to light). Here is what you can do.

1. Change the program to Aperture priority, refer to your manual.
2. change the aperture setting to f/2.8 (remember, do not zoom. If you zoom the aperture will not be as low as f/2.8)
3. Change the ISO to 400.
4. Turn off the flash.
5. focus on the subject (press shutter half way), then shoot.

This should give you a better result. If it is still blurry, try it with the flash. For stationary subjects, this method will work just fine, however the quality is still affected the amount of available in your house.

You can also give this method a try. Instead of aperture priority, try shutter priority. Set everything else to auto and just play around with the shutter speed that allows you capture the action shot and still not too dark. Again, turn the flash off. Start with 1/60, 1/100, 1/125, 1/150...etc Anything below 1/60 sec will be blurry, but the best way to learn is to try all the settings. Now go have some fun with your camera. Post some pics and let us know how it turns out. Let me know if you have any Qs.