How to seperate cats eating different food

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I took in a stray a few weeks ago. He was great other than litter box issues. He had a hard time pooping sometimes it was like he couldnt feel it and leave little surprises around the house. 

Last week I was out of dry food and all three of mine got only wet food. I would have been fine to continue that but my two resident cats acted like they were starving with only wet though I know I gave them enough. During the week with no dry Mickey was excellent no accidents. Thursday I bought a bag of dry and began doing the two meals wet with free fed kitten food. The older ones are just 7 months.

Any way this morning I woke up hearing Mickey crying and went to check and he was having trouble pooping again.

I am thinking I should switch him to grain free wet only and see if that helps.

My question is how do I do meal times. I will increase him to 3-4 times a day because he is only about 3 months old. I am taking free feeding from my others to keep him from it. Can I just give them dry at the times hes getting the extra wet.  Also should I add pumpkin to his at every meal until he softens back up. Do you think he has an allergy to kibble?

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He might just be sensitive to the food you are feeding if he is having trouble pooping. I would change the dry food brand if it's making him constipated.  What dry food are you feeding? You should give him as much as he wants, but I'd definitely change the dry food brand. If switching it doesn't help, I'd take him to the vet to make sure there's nothing wrong medically.

As for separating that is kind of hard in a multi-cat home if you choose to free feed. Perhaps more people will have more advice on that. :)

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's common for dry food to cause constipation. Some dry foods will say 'good for digestive health' or something similar on the label, these seem to be better and not cause constipation as much. A half wet, half dry diet seems to help with most cats. Some cats do have intolerances/allergies to some of the ingredients in some brands. Finding a dry food that is higher in protein with less grain or corn usually is better for their digestive system and will help them stay fuller longer.

It is really hard to feed different food to each cat in a multi-cat house unless you separate them during mealtime. If you know you need to feed them different foods, try getting them used to eating in separate rooms, otherwise you will have a lot of trouble keeping them from eating out of the other cat's bowl. This is the only way I was able to do this with 3 cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for responding. 

I am feeding them Purina Kitten Chow. 

He did well the week we didnt have it. I think I will keep him on wet only and go to scheduled feedings for all kittens.