How to saving money on canned food when budget is tight

nellieandalexis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
most pet stores sell you wet food by the 24 pack this what we did and it saved us a quite bit of money.

scottp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am considering ordering Fancy Feast from Amazon. If you order $25 or more you get free shipping, plus if you "subscribe" to have the order repeated every month you can get a 24 can case for $11.80. That's $0.49/can where my local grocery store sells the same stuff for $0.65/can, that translates to a significant saves per month for us having 3 cats to feed.

The only flavors of Fancy Feast I buy though are Chicken Feast, Turkey and Giblet Feast, Ocean Whitefish, and Cod, Sole & Shrimp Feast. These were the only ones I saw that did not contain any cereal/vegetable based fillers.

http://www.amazon.com/Fancy-Feast-Go...4677562&sr=1-7

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A warning on subscribe+save on Amazon, you are NOT price locked when you subscribe.

So when a month comes up, if the price changes, you are billed at whatever the price is that day and are not notified in advance. Says so in the Amazon FAQ and verified on slickdeals forum.

So your best bet is to use subscribe and save, but set it for 6-months maximum just in case you forget, and after shipment just cancel the subscription. When you need more, check prices and do subscribe and save again if the price is still good.

scottp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

A warning on subscribe+save on Amazon, you are NOT price locked when you subscribe.

So when a month comes up, if the price changes, you are billed at whatever the price is that day and are not notified in advance. Says so in the Amazon FAQ and verified on slickdeals forum.

So your best bet is to use subscribe and save, but set it for 6-months maximum just in case you forget, and after shipment just cancel the subscription. When you need more, check prices and do subscribe and save again if the price is still good.
Oh. Good to know. I would have fallen into that trap and probably not realized they had jacked the price up for months. Thanks.

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We use about 100 cans of food per month and I buy whats on sale, flavors I know they will eat. Unfortunately my oldest Sphynx only wants Friskies (ugh!!!) I have been to the point of crying because he refuses anything high end. He is also a poultry only kind of boy. He loves beef, but it upsets his tummy. I do buy higher end brands on sale because I got so tired of throwing money in the trash. I mix the good stuff with his junk food and it ultimately gets eaten. Im glad I have some cats that are happy to eat whatever I serve.

Petsmart and Petco usually have decent sales and Walmart is also cheap for FF and Friskies. best idea ever? Amazon Prime. Its expensive for the 79.00 fee, but for a year you get free 2 day shipping on a ton of different stuff. I buy about 90% of our catfood/litter that way. They do have a free 30 day trial. You might want to check it outand price some of your food there.

Im also feeding a 62lb dog who eats kibble and wet and i get great dealson her food on Amazon.

maxwilliams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We use about 100 cans of food per month and I buy whats on sale, flavors I know they will eat. Unfortunately my oldest Sphynx only wants Friskies (ugh!!!) I have been to the point of crying because he refuses anything high end. He is also a poultry only kind of boy. He loves beef, but it upsets his tummy. I do buy higher end brands on sale because I got so tired of throwing money in the trash. I mix the good stuff with his junk food and it ultimately gets eaten. Im glad I have some cats that are happy to eat whatever I serve.

Petsmart and Petco usually have decent sales and Walmart is also cheap for FF and Friskies. best idea ever? Amazon Prime. Its expensive for the 79.00 fee, but for a year you get free 2 day shipping on a ton of different stuff. I buy about 90% of our catfood/litter that way. They do have a free 30 day trial. You might want to check it outand price some of your food there.

Im also feeding a 62lb dog who eats kibble and wet and i get great dealson her food on Amazon.
I'd agree with Petco having decent sales. And thanks for the best idea ever.
I'll need it as I am currently on saving money. I can't believe I have been throwing cash for food lately because my cat wouldn't eat it. Sigh.