How to rehome a cat because of

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I rescued a stray female last November. I had two resident cats also female. The new cat, Fluffy, a beautiful long haired gray cat promptly took over the house. She had been spayed, our city rescue program does TNR and removes the tip of the left ear before they release them back outside. This cat had to be a house cat at some point. She is very affectionate and talks all the time. She has tried to establish herself as the alpha cat. One of my babies accepted her and the other didn't. Its a constant battle. Sweetie, the female who was alpha is now under attck all the time. She can't even walk in the room without Fluffy attacking her. She has taken to high places to hide. I feel the time has come to find Fluffy a new home but I don't know how to do this. All our no-kill shelters are full and I certainly would not give her to a shelter who would dispose of her. I really love her but can't take the battles. So fare no one has really gotten hurt but I know the day is coming. I don't feel its fair for Sweetie whose home this was to have to put up with the constant fear and fighting. Please advise me what to do.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what methods of introducing have you done?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sharkey, I appreciate your question and have to tell you we didn't do any introductions when I bought Fluffy home. I live in a tiny 4 room co-op. 2 BR, mine and an adult granddaughters. LR, small kitchen and thats it. Absolutely no space available to keep them separated for a while. If I would have put her in my room she would have torn the carpeting trying to dig out. The same if I put Sweetie in there locked up. It just would not have been feasible. When I brought Fluffy home she was in her carrier for a while. She saw the vet the next day and the vet said, "you do what you've got to do, at least she wasn't out in the bad weather". She's adjusted well, its like she lived with me forever. I really see this as a jealousy issue over me and if I could diffuse it, I would. I've thought of Feliway, but unfortunately all the electrical outlets are behind furniture and the spray would not hit the open air in the rooms to do any good. The kitchen is 9X10, LR 12x12 and all floor space is taken by furniture. I've had many of talks with Fluffy about tormenting Sweetie. She just sits there and purrs. I think she is telling me she is now the boss. But thhis behavior can't continue. Even my other cat runs and hides when a fight is going on. Its very disruptive. Help!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
have you tried Feliway or the generic version?

do you have access to a health food or supplement store?

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sharkey, In my response to you yesterday I explained why I was unable to use the Feliway diffusers. I do have access to a health store and all large Pet supply stores. I live in a large urban area. I would love to use the diffusers, but my co-op was build in the 40's and they were not overly generous with wall plug-ins.

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Feliway makes a spray. You could try that, it only lasts like 12 hours though. With mine, I would lightly missed the "common" areas twice a day. It really does help.

Have you tried a short time-out with the cat that attacks? I've found that putting my aggressor in the bathroom for about 10 minutes after the attack helps everyone calm down.

The other thing I do is I shut the kitten and my older male in the bedroom for a while and give Pandora (the submissive) some one on one attention. We play with the interactive toys and just relax for a little while. Pandora has just started standing up for herself.

I've read that it can take up to a year for kitties to get used to each other. Maybe just give them some more time?

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two of mine battle frequently. I feed them side by side (they're not free fed) and have found that very helpful to quelling the war. Also, weirdly, Da Bird cat toy has been good. They both like it a lot and forget their differences to play. To get two cats to cooperate, you must always try to bring the tension down. You can clap your hands if someone is intensely focused on someone else. Once they've broken their focus, try talking to them calmly. I've found that helps my crew a lot too.

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lauren_miller

Feliway makes a spray. You could try that, it only lasts like 12 hours though. With mine, I would lightly missed the "common" areas twice a day. It really does help.

Have you tried a short time-out with the cat that attacks? I've found that putting my aggressor in the bathroom for about 10 minutes after the attack helps everyone calm down.

The other thing I do is I shut the kitten and my older male in the bedroom for a while and give Pandora (the submissive) some one on one attention. We play with the interactive toys and just relax for a little while. Pandora has just started standing up for herself.

I've read that it can take up to a year for kitties to get used to each other. Maybe just give them some more time?
OK, I bought both the spray and the kind that goes in the outlets. Will need to wait on this one due to the A/C and fans. Need to know how to use the spray. I'm somewhat confused by the instructions. I can't follow the cats around the house and spray tghe air when one of them wants to fight which is daily. Please advise as to how to use.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You spray the room : ie carpeting , bedding , crate/ carrier ..... need to use daily...

I understand the no outlets... lol my home is fairly new and still not enough

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I mist the "common" areas. The places they like to hang out.

Another thing you can do is distract the cat that's attacking. I keep a bunch of interactive toys out (i.e da bird, cat catcher, whatever they like) and when you see the aggressor stalking the other cat get the toy and get the cat playing.

If you spend some time wearing the aggressive cat out each day they will have less time to think about being aggressive and more time being tired from the play session. I do a few 15-30 minute play sessions a day. It really does help.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could get a clear plastic runner from the home improvment store for your rug in the bedroom. That is what I used years ago when I had to confine a cat. The door will open right over it. Or even a large sheet of linoleum.