How To Raise Well Rounded Kittens

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right now I have my first foster group of cats: a young momma and her 6, 9 week old babies. I've had them since birth. I suppose it's a little late to be asking, but I can always take suggestions for my next batch. My question is, how do I raise them to be well rounded cats who will get adopted? They are fairly skittish, the litter bag scares them when I fill up their boxes. They hiss at my dog if they see him. They used to snuggle on me when they were sleepy, but they won't anymore. What can I do to get them used to as many sounds and such that I can? Anyway to promote cuddliness (that will help them get adopted)?

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have always done things so casually without thinking about it.
I guess at 9 weeks they are toddlers, they are becoming more self aware and more aware of things around them. Even familiar people, places and things might seem scary, even if you have been the great bringer of the food and cleaner of the litterbox.
I talk to them a lot while I do things. I make a lot of noise myself. Engage them in play.
I have found that simply running a vacuum helps them not be so nervous about noise. I have a shop vac that I can just turn on. At first they are scared and then curious. You can do the same with a standard vac, I had a kitten who would come running when the vacuum turned on. She loved to play with it. A standard vac with a belt driven roller could hurt them though but just making noise in general and they will learn it isn't scary.
They will learn to like the sound of the litter too and food. Another week or two and they will be attacking your bare legs.
Be careful around the do. I don't know what kind you have. If they are hissing at the dog the mom might attack him and if he is a mid to large breed she might get hurt. If it is a small breed then the dog will get hurt. It is best to supervise actions between the dog and the cats or maybe put a barrier between him and them temporarily for his safety. Maybe even give momma kitty a few hours of quiet time and let the dog and kittens get to know each other without her present.
Supervised of course.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have them in my spare bedroom so there's definitely no unsupervised contact between them and the dog. Sometimes they run out the door (I have a baby gate up to prevent them from getting further into the house) and encounter the dog at the gate. I've let momma out a little to roam and she doesn't seem to mind the dog anymore.

Would you run the vacuum inside the room they're in? I think that would scare the crap out of them. Also, they definitely attack my legs/feet/arms, anything they can reach. They are just 100% about playing right now.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That baby gate isn't going to hold them much longer unless they decide not to climb it. I am kind of surprised they haven't already. hehe
The room has to be cleaned so I would just vacuum while they are in there, even if you don't have carpets use the hose attachment(if there is one)to clean the corners and crevices. It will scare them at first but once they realize there is no real danger attached to the sound. They will either play with it, still hide from it, or ignore it.
Everything is new so everything scares them at first. Another month or so they might be willing to play with phone apps.
Mine like to watch things on the tv screen, some have preferences for certain shows or media. Our kittens(when we have kittens)always live in our room and venture out around 6 weeks to 2 months. We always have some relaxing time before bed and from every litter there are always a couple that love watching videos on the phone or tablet. Of course letting them run around on the bed that smells like us makes them feel more comfortable too.
Playful kitties are the reason I wear long pants in the summer. ouch!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You might want to move the kittens to another room while you vacuum. I think it will scare the wits out of them. They don't need that right now!