How To Prevent All The Shedding?

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats are shedding everywhere! I brush them often, but still there are hairballs all across the floor and hair on my clothing. It's quite annoying. Any solutions for this?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you cats indoor only? Or indoor/outdoor? Is it possibly spring shedding of their winter coats?

The spring after I adopted my Ruby, it seemed she was shedding like crazy. I think she might have had a thicker coat from being outside, and maybe had more fur to shed. She regularly sheds fur, of course, but it's never been like that first spring.

I also think a food change made a difference in the texture of her fur, though not sure if that would affect shedding.

Hopefully some other members will reply, but meanwhile here's a couple site articles on grooming that might have some tips for you:
How To Properly Care For Your Cat's Coat
7 Reasons Why You Really Should Groom Your Cat Regularly

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
You mentioned you have cats, (plural), but didn't say how many cats. How many cats do you have? The reason I'm asking is obviously because the more cats the more fur and/or hairballs. Also are your cats shorthair or longhair and do you vacuum on a regular basis? rubysmama rubysmama gave you some good Articles to read about grooming and caring for your cat's coat. Here is another Article you can refer to about hairballs: How To Treat - And Prevent - Hairballs In Cats

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I read the title and had to laugh... you can't prevent shedding
If you have indoor cats or dogs, dealing with fur is a lifestyle. :p

Your tools: furminator, lint rollers (by the dozens), vacuume, and believe it or not, quality food (look into egg lecithin for hairballs). Even the dryer can be a tool for a quick de-furring of throws and pillows.
I once had to write Costco a letter because I was told the reason there were no lint rollers on the shelf was because they were a "seasonal item".... as if our animals ever actually stop shedding!! Granted, it may be worse during some months, but they don't actually stop. ;)

Wenda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know any solutions to keeping them from shedding, but I do know using a damp rag run over fabric furniture in circular motions is a super quick way to get cat hair off of couches and chairs. Something my grandma taught me and it's so much quicker and more efficient than trying to vacuum it off.