How to mellow kitty out at night while we sleep.

wendy8080

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a well adjusted kitten that is about 3 months old.  His name is Vinny and we LOVE him to pieces.  Vinny's mother and sister went to a permanent home (two days ago) where they will be loved and well cared for.  We know that it will take Vin a little while to adjust, so we play as much as possible with him, using toys and one on one interaction.  I even go as far as playing for a couple hours with him before bed time so he is sleepy.  The problem is that once we go to bed he instantly wants to play, and play hard.  He will crawl under the covers and attack, whack us in the face, rabbit kick our arms, pull my hair and jump all over us.  We leave the bedroom door open, have a nightlight and leave his toys out.  We also provide food and water at night. 

My question is how can we get around this night issue.  Is there a particular toy that entertains?  Do we need a new routine?  Need help......

Oh, and last night I took Vinny out to the living room and shut the bedroom door so my husband could sleep.  I slept on the sofa and Vinny went right to sleep, curled up along my chest.

Thanks for your time!

W.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Setting up a routine will help. Playing before bed, and playing until he's panting will help for sure!

Also, feeding him before bed will also make him sleepy and keep him content until the morning (hopefully!)

Considering Vinny is still young, it'll take time for him to learn that when you're in bed, it's quiet time. Patience!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with wearing them out before bedtime.

Also, if the cats get rowdy on the bed, they get kicked off ... not, like kicked, just booted from the bed... I mean.. not booted, just... argh.... 

They are removed from our presence on the bed with a firm "no". 

If they were persistent, they got stuck in the bathroom for time out.  When they stopped crying, they were let out.

After a while, they got the idea that if they were quiet and calm, they could hang with us on the bed.

It does take time and patience.  And you will be low on sleep for a while.  But if you are consistent, they will get the message.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wendy8080

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for the responses.  I will change his evening meal so that it is later at night and play time will be a little more vigorous.  I have a whole bucket of patience for Vin.  He is a sweet little guy!