how to medicate a feral?

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK guys, some good luck vibes and advice would be appreciated.

Juliet is home now, and has informed me that she will not take kindly to seclusion in my bedroom - one of the doors closes but does not latch, and she effected her escape within ten minutes! She only shows discomfort with Mika, who is overly friendly and wants to touch noses, but a short warning growl is enough to dissuade her. Other than that, she is just shy and wary of approaching humans, but not aggressive.

Unfortunately she has amoxicillin drops to take twice daily, and I really am at a loss as to how to get them into her. Should I mix them in her food and feed her in isolation (I can more easily sequester the other two and just wait for her to finish eating) or should I dig in, get out the welding gloves and towels and prepare for a very agitated kitty burrito???

gargoyle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mixing with her food will be the least stressful way of accomplishing this. And since you can sequester the other two, it should be fairly foolproof (knock wood) to make sure only Mika is getting the amoxicillin.

sneaking it in the food is what works with my ferals (who cannot, as yet, be handled).

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When we had to give Addie medication we mixed it with some mackerel - she ate the lot and left nothing! So, if you can stand it, some good smelly fish might be the answer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what I thought too, and since she still needs some fluids (still having smelly diarrhea) I'll try tuna juice, or maybe some pedialyte w/her canned food. Just make sure to limit the amt so she drinks/eats it ALL to get the full dose.