How To Make The Local Feral/stray Cat People Friendly?

mike758

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There's a cat that just started hanging around our house. It appears to still be a kitten, as it appears to not be full size yet, but it definitely appears to be an older kitten. During the day, it usually lays on our neighbors fence near their shed, I think it might live in the shed. At night time, it lays on our deck. We just started feeding the cat which makes it come around more.

Anyway, it's scared of us. There's another cat that's definitely ferel who runs away if you come within 100 feet of it. This cat lets you within about 5 feet, but then runs away. I've tried approaching it many different ways but it just runs away. My younger brother got a little closer today and the cat hissed at him. I'm wondering if there's a way that we can socialize it to us.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
This kitten is probably more used to humans as you can get as close as 5 feet away. Not very feral and not very socialized yet but high chance of socializing it.

Feeding him is a good way for it to trust you and definitely you must win his trust. Besides food, get some toys like a small ball or better still, a feather wand. A feather wand keeps the distance but gets him interacted. Reward him with treats if he plays and once he associate you with food, his trust in you will deepen and its easier to pet him.

It takes time, love and patience and routine, but it's worth it. Once you can do all these, try getting him to the vet for his vaccinations and spay or neuter it when the time is right for them to do so.

Keep us posted please :wink:

Last edited:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, food will keep him hanging around, as will having him neutered. As tabby tom mentioned, if you can engage him in play with a string toy or feather toy that will also help him build trust in you. My backyard feral let me start petting her two days after I was able to engage her in play with a stuffed catnip toy tied to a string. That was after several weeks of feeding her regularly.

Younger kittens you can take indoors and socialize, if you're wanting to go "all the way" to full socialization as an indoor kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mike758

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not really trying to make it an indoor cat, we already have 2, and the oldest never ever accepted our other cat, and we've had the younger cat for 10 years now. She was actually a ferel kitten we found and raised.

The cat is now living on the deck almost full time, it likes going under the tarped furniture which is a good spot to stay out of the rain. If it sticks around I'm going to probably put out a heated mat and continue to feed it. I was hoping to socialize it so it's almost like another pet, just an outside one.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never had an outdoor cat until this little feral cat I TNR'd this year, so this is all new to me too. So far, the more she gets used to me feeding her at set times, the more she hangs around the patio. I do sit outside with her while she eats and talk to her, then I engage her in a little play.

keeneland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Besides food, get some toys like a small ball or better still, a feather wand.
We have a little feral girl kitty by the name of Puff Ball that we are still working on that is 20 months old now that we still cannot pet! It is amazing how this little cat loves to play! I think she would play all day long with a string or feather toy stuck under a door. I had pretty much found out if we are to ever get her to the petting stage it's play that's going to do the trick. She trusts enough to eat from my hand and as long as other cats are around will get around my feet but if she ever suspects that we may reach to pet her she is gone like a shot! As Tom said food & time are most likely #1 & #2 on the list to making buddies with a cat. No. #3 at least in her case is going to be play! Keep the faith & keep trying! We are ..... and this was 12 months ago!

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
if you feed in a comfy place for you to lounge, lie flat on the ground near to the food.
you will find that no animal fears you when you are supine.
after the first time, you just bring the food closer n closer, until it's inches away.
i have used this method on all sorts of animals.
there's a run down of what i did, with a true feral cat on the IMPOSSIBLE CAT thread.
since your kitty isn't feral, it shouldn't take more than a week to start petting it.