How to make my cats like each other?

nlevi42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had my cats for seven years now, they were adopted within a week or two of each other. They got along just fine once they were introduced and the female, Jelly, is spayed, and the male, Morris, is neutered. After about a year or two Morris started viciously attacking Jelly, ripping out clumps of her fur and just generally being not a nice dude. I hear Jelly yowling for help and hissing and growling probably twice a day or more (though some days are lucky and they tolerate each other). The rest of the time he ignores her and the attacks seem sporadic. We let Morris outside most days to get his energy out so that doesn't seem to be the problem, in my opinion. Jelly is so sweet to Morris and tries to bathe and cuddle him but he just responds with violence :( is there anything that I can do? They used to cuddle all the time as kittens and it breaks my heart to see her affection rejected!

This is Jelly... a bit of a weird one, LOL, but the sweetest thing you'll ever meet!

This is Morris... so so mean to his sister but an absolute angel to myself and my entire family!

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
This is Jelly... a bit of a weird one, LOL, but the sweetest thing you'll ever meet!

This is Morris... so so mean to his sister but an absolute angel to myself and my entire family!
What beautiful cats. Do you think it's possible it's a case of redirected aggression.  I believe Jackson Galaxy has worked with a couple of cat guardians overcoming cases of long term redirected aggression. You are probably going to have to do a cat introduction as if you were just getting one of them.  Do you think there could be something outside that is triggering Morris ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nlevi42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! That sounds.. very accurate, actually, and I'm not sure how I haven't thought of it before. There's a big black cat around our neighborhood that has been bullying Morris since he was a kitten (never actually hurt him, of course, or I'd keep him inside) and it could possibly be that that's causing him to act out. Thank you very very much for answering! :)

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you so much! That sounds.. very accurate, actually, and I'm not sure how I haven't thought of it before. There's a big black cat around our neighborhood that has been bullying Morris since he was a kitten (never actually hurt him, of course, or I'd keep him inside) and it could possibly be that that's causing him to act out. Thank you very very much for answering! :)
I think it would be best to keep Morris in or build or buy a cats safe outdoor enclosure. While I have been annoyed that Galaxy seems to be pushing things you buy in his shows he has went back to the more fundamental psychology of cats and their frustrating behaviors.

If Morris feels on the defensive even friendly gestures by Jelly might seem intimidating.