How to make it smell enticing

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cats have been fed raw for 5 years now but whenever I give them canned food they are very eager to dig in, and I think that's the smell.

Is it possible to add something to raw diet, so it will smell good and strong for cats?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I sometimes sprinkle FortiFlora or bonito flakes on top before I set the food in front of them. FortiFlora is pricey, but I just dust the top so one packet lasts for several meals. I buy the bonito flakes at an Asian market, but my regular grocery store has them, too.

• Purraise
Reactions: F+V
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I sometimes sprinkle FortiFlora or bonito flakes on top before I set the food in front of them. FortiFlora is pricey, but I just dust the top so one packet lasts for several meals. I buy the bonito flakes at an Asian market, but my regular grocery store has them, too.
bonito flakes is a good idea. I used to give them FortiFlora but now we switched to Daily Cat S.boulardii, which one of them really isn't keen on... I could add treats to their meals but they get easily addicted to it and wouldn't eat food without treats.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve had good luck with bonito flakes. I don’t use the FortiFlora as a probiotic because I think it’s mediocre for that purpose. Just my opinion. :) But it makes a great topper to get them to eat! I use Proviable for their probiotic although it doesn’t contain S. boulardii.

• Purraise

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it's the smell of the canned food, or the fact that it's novel since you don't feed it that often. I noticed this with my cats: they love Fancy Feast when they haven't had it for a while, but they quickly get tired of it if I start giving it to them too often. They don't ever get tired of their raw food.

• Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it's the smell of the canned food, or the fact that it's novel since you don't feed it that often. I noticed this with my cats: they love Fancy Feast when they haven't had it for a while, but they quickly get tired of it if I start giving it to them too often. They don't ever get tired of their raw food.
That's a good point. After we moved to another country, I was feeding them canned food for over a month and I noticed they didn't like all canned food indiscriminately. In fact they weren't keen on one of Wellness Core wetfood. Also they got hungry a lot quickly when they were on commercial wetfood.