How to look at her skin?

Katdog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there

I was giving Korra Kat a good petting today and I noticed her lower back area, right before her tail, had two good size bumps on them. About 1/8” or 3/8” in diameter, def not larger than 1/4”. I think it hurts her when I touch them bc she doesn’t let me touch them for very long (1-2 seconds tops).They feel Hard, crusty like, sorta like a scab; but I can’t get to them for a visual. She doesn’t itch them or anything, and only Seems to mind when I touch them.

I have noticed these bumps before- one time in her mid back and the other time behind her ear. She didn’t like me touching those either. Both bumps in those spots are no longer there, and we didn’t treat them in any way.The midback was there in oct and was gone around November and the ear one was there in dec and now gone.

With the track record I wouldn’t be surprised if there are more bumps and I just haven’t felt around enough to notice them all. Would be surprised if there were 2-4 other ones on her right now.

my question is/are:
1) are there any tricks to get her to sit / stay still for me to properly inspect and maybe photograph?
2) is it normal for bumps to come and go? Find an occasional one here and there? Maybe it’s an acne equivalent of sorts? Maybe it’s no big deal and I don’t need to be concern? The fact she’s had four (that I’ve noted) over a period of 5 months has me concerned, seems like it’s too much of a reoccurring thing to not worry....
3) if I can’t get to them to inspect, how will the vet be able to; to really actually tell me what it is? Should I take her to a dermatologist instead? She’s seen a dermatologist previously who diagnosed her with food allergies which has cleared up her coughing and hair loss patches/ over itching. So it might be good to see that Derm again cause we have a history ?
4) i assume a biopsy/sample of the scab is what the vet will need to tell Me Anything conclusive....what other test can a vet do? I don’t see a blood test being relevant in this scenario, right?

Side note/ I’ve been training her to brush, and I did noticed this lower back area she was never fond of /very squirmy when brushed. I just figured she didn’t like getting brushed, she’s squirmy when being brushed elsewhere but the lower back is def very squirmy like goes out of her way to avoid the brush when it gets near her low back.

I’ve already read the webpage that’s titled something along the lines of “common cat skin issues”; it didn’t have anything applicable to this scenario.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Is she an outdoor cat? They sound a bit like the lumps that occur when one cat gets bitten by another.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katdog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, she’s an indoor cat

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It could be a form of miliary dermatitis - brought on by some sort of allergen. Why it would be off and on, if there are no correlating changes in her environment or food, I am not sure. Fleas are another possibility, despite the fact she is an indoor cat and even if she gets flea treatments. People can bring fleas into their homes on their shoes/clothing and the fleas will find the cat, even bite her before dying from the flea treatment. I am also guessing that - like so many of us - your cat is just not scratching enough in your presence for you to notice. She is probably the one causing the scabs. Dermatitis is typically itchy, and can cause skin sensitivity.

It sounds like it might be a two person job if you want to take a closer look and perhaps take a pic. Somebody to hold her steady so that you can work through the hair in that area with your fingers. If that doesn't work, or you have no one else to help, it might be worth it to just go ahead and make an appt. with the dermatologist. I would imagine if you let them know of the repeated incidents, and the fact that she seems bothered by you touching the spots, they would probably think it would be a good idea to see her.