How to let kittens out for the first time

clairebear3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Someone just gave me some advice re moving/letting kittens out for the first time. Make sure they're hungry! They know where their food comes from and if you give him something special when he comes back you probably won't be able to get him to go out

Good luck, will be doing just the same thing a few weeks from now.

calicoblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm also one that allows my cats to go outside even if it's not a popular view these days. I applaud you for waiting until they are vaccinated and have been fixed!! Woo! I think cats do enjoy being outside not that they aren't happy indoors but mine get plenty of fresh air and sunshine and in my humble opinion...really enjoy outdoors.

Having said that...I'm lucky that I am in rural area and I live far off any road...soooo I'm able to make that decision with more ease and do think the indoor/outdoor debate will always have plenty of fuel but I believe that we need to allow people to make that choice given their particular circumstances...Anyway...

I ntroduce mine to the outside under my supervision and like a house they explore a little at a time and don't venture too far and slowly expand their boundary. Since they are all fixed none roam too far and always are within calling distance when I'm ready to have them come in...

Have fun and good luck!

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first few weeks after you have made sure they do know the area.I would check up on them often and call them back. If they are going to be allowed outside..Its much safer if they go out during the day time only then called back and kept inside during the night time..Predators are out fox,coyotes ect. Their main hunting times are early mornings and starting at dusk..