How to know if my Himilayan is pure bred

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my (not very educated) opinion the original poster's kitten looks mink to me. But the retinas seem to reflect red, which means blue eyes. Or Blue-ish anyway. She looks very sweet and cuddly, though. Oh, and $300 is not very much for a pedigreed cat - that may have something to do with the eye color.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

Here are the pictures the OP requested that I post for her. I did crop and resize, but this first one clearly shows the eye color ...

Here is another:

and last, but not least:
She is adorable...she doesn't look any different than my Himalayans and they were pet quality

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww she is so sweet! Defiantely the wrong eye color but the rest looks pretty much Himmie to me! Gorgeous cat! I have a boy that looks identical, but he has very blue eyes and is 8 years old. I adopted him for $40 from a shelter.

I guess it's really no big deal about registering her. Unless you wanted to show her. She is obviously not breeding quality so I hope you aren't planning to do that.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's gorgeous! She looks mink to me, too... her body is dark. From what I know (which isn't much! lol), a mink colored cat can have clear aqua eyes to greenish eyes with blue specks, or even yellow with blue specks. They do reflect red, so you know they will be some shade of blue, even if it isn't pure blue like a Siamese.
Her eyes look like a poor bluish green to me, I have a friend with a registered Himmie like that.... her cat's eyes are blue, but they are very pale greenish yellow and only noticeably blue in spots, like your kitty.

Did I say she's gorgeous? She's a perfect little doll! I like the mink coloring better than the pointed, anyway.
Please stick around a few months... I can't wait to watch her grow up!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pearlgem1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for everyone's feedback. It gives me info. I need if the breeder returns my call. We are having fun raising her. We call her catdog sometimes because she is so affectionate and attached to us. She follows us around from room to room like a puppy. I hope as she grows she still as affectionate. My previous cats were full grown when I got them. They were very different personalities and behavior.

aschretzmeyer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your blue point kitty is absolutely beautiful!! She definately look's like a Himalayan and her personality sound's like one too. That's the great thing about Himmie's is that they have a very unique personality and they are extremely affectionate. My cat is now 8 months old and she still follows me from room to room. Have fun

Mandy

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pearlgem1

Thanks so much for everyone's feedback. It gives me info. I need if the breeder returns my call. We are having fun raising her. We call her catdog sometimes because she is so affectionate and attached to us. She follows us around from room to room like a puppy. I hope as she grows she still as affectionate. My previous cats were full grown when I got them. They were very different personalities and behavior.
Best of luck with her she is adorable I have had 3 Himalayans and love the personality. They are loyal like dogs, and so laid back, They are my FAVORITE!!!

merrytreecats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's a purebred Himmie all right. It's just a doll faced one. As for the eyes, that looks like a very pale variant of the pointed-pattern blue eyes. I know because I had a Himmie with very pale blue eyes and sometimes they look like a pale grey. The pointed pattern is actually a form of albinism, and the blue eyes result from a lack of pigment. Sometimes the eyes may lack so much pigment that the blood vessels can show through a bit, causing the blue eyes to actually be part pink. That looks like the case with your kitten. Genetically I would say she's all Himmie, even if her parents were Persians--the Himalayan is nowadays considered to be a division of the Persian breed. Unfortunately, breeding Himmies with Persians has resulted in somewhat of a loss of that deep blue eye colour.