How to keep new kitten warm?

puddertatten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm bringing a new kitten (12 weeks old) home in a few days. It's down to 20F to 30F here. I'm bringing along a large, soft fleece blanket for her carrier, and a smaller one that I hope to get on top of her. I'm covering the carrier with a towel. Unfortunately, the carrier is a soft-body one with mesh on three sides. Is there anything else I can do to keep her warm? My car's heater isn't working, and it'll be about a half hour drive home.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your kitten will be fine with the fleece blankets
If you still worry, buy a microwavable pet heating pad such as the SnuggleSafe. It stays warm for a good 12 hours or so as long as you follow the directions printed on the pad as microwaves vary in wattage. Or fill a large sock with uncooked rice or beans, knot closed, and heat until very wrm but not hot. That will provide some warmth as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

puddertatten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! My mom is teasing me about being a "helicopter mom".

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I second the Snugglesafe. One of the best things ever. At 12 weeks a kitten will move on and off it and there are no cords. Mine stays hot overnight although they now have a heated outdoor cat shelter indoors.  Since the SnuggleSafe is not always in cat use now I have used it a few times under my desk to keep my  toes warm.

puddertatten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I ordered two snuggle safes by 2 day shipping (the kitten will move in here on Christmas Eve). The second one is for my senior kitty. I predicted a war over the beds if only one is heated.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great
I'm sure your ktiten will love it.

Be sure to heat the SnuggleSafe correclty to avoid it seriously burning your kitten or even exploding while being heated. I have the old SnuggleSafe pads which has a chart printed right on it how long to heat the pad for based on microwave wattage. The newer pads don't have he same chart. The chart is listed here: https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_librar...3aaf66-347a-4789-afcc-5d6fa77ed8b6&showText=1 If you're not sure of your micrwave wattage, just Google the brand name and model number. There's usually a label on the door frame or on the back or bottom of the microwave that has a model number, sometimes even the wattage. The pad will be HOT so use pot holders or a folded kitchen towel to remove it from the microwave. I like to give the pad a shake or two to evently distribute the heated gel material inside the pad and then tuck the pad into the fleece cover.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

Great
I'm sure your ktiten will love it.

Be sure to heat the SnuggleSafe correclty to avoid it seriously burning your kitten or even exploding while being heated. I have the old SnuggleSafe pads which has a chart printed right on it how long to heat the pad for based on microwave wattage. The newer pads don't have he same chart. The chart is listed here: https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_librar...3aaf66-347a-4789-afcc-5d6fa77ed8b6&showText=1 If you're not sure of your micrwave wattage, just Google the brand name and model number. There's usually a label on the door frame or on the back or bottom of the microwave that has a model number, sometimes even the wattage. The pad will be HOT so use pot holders or a folded kitchen towel to remove it from the microwave. I like to give the pad a shake or two to evently distribute the heated gel material inside the pad and then tuck the pad into the fleece cover.
I heat mine in the cover it came in and have never been burnt and mine has the directions printed on the unit itself. I have always wrapped it in a fleece baby blanket to double ensure extra safety and to keep the original cover clean. Wrapped in the fleece baby blanket the unit stays warm all night , or all day. And I too shake the unit out of the microwave to make sure the gel inside is evenly distributed. I feel that might end up giving it a longer life.

puddertatten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone & thank you for your help!

I got the snugglesafe & am struggling with how to make it softer for my 14 year old & my kitten to sleep on (I ordered two).

I finally figured out that it's probably the hardness of it that makes my senior not want to use it. She slept on it the first night and appeared to love it. However, I noticed she was rejecting it on the second night.

I don't actually take my kitten home until tomorrow. But the house is cold, and I really want something warm that she can sleep on.

Does anyone have ideas as to what to cover it wth to get softness AND warmth? Are there particular fabrics I should use (fleece vs cotton, etc.) ?

Thank you!

puddertatten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awesome, thank you! I just remembered a pillow from a bed we never used that I can put in the bed. Also, will try this fleece wool-like blanket I got for the kitten.

Thanks again. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The SnuggleSafe can be microwaved with the fleece cover on. I just prefer to microwave it without the cover.

My cats don't have a problem with the hard warm pad but you could tuck it between the folds of a blanket or towel to make it softer. Or if you have a cat bed with a removable insert, tuck the pad under the insert. The warmth will penetrate through a blanket or whatever you place it under as long as it's not really thick.

There are soft gel pet warming pads but some pets may chew on the cover and the gel will leak out and may be ingested which could be harmful.

puddertatten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I microwave it without the cover as well. I'm going to wrap it in fleece with a small pillow over it.

I get to pick her up today. Wish me luck!