How to keep my kittens cool?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I didn't have AC, I used to put tubs of ice in front of my fans, sort of a poor man's swamp cooler.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pui Hang

Same here!! We've also got an air cooler - funnily enough Bella and Cinders aren't bothered by the air cooler or this new fan
Luckily, it was a lot lot cooler here yesterday after the thunderstorms - it's gone from 31 degrees to 21 degrees!! The difference in the girls today is such an enormous improvement
I wish it would go down to 21 here, but it doesn't look like it will. Even 25 sounds good at this point!
Originally Posted by Crt

These suggestions are all great. I am really concerned about this issue since I live in Houston, Texas which is very hot (97 today) and very humid. I have a/c of course, but I really begin obsessing about how I would keep my cats cool enough during an extended power outage from tropical storms or a hurricane. If I can't bear the heat, I wonder how they will.

This brings me to this question. Have any of you ever used a battery operated fan? I did a google search and got some hits, and wondered if any of you had ever used one and if so, did it work?
I've never tried one, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Having something like that on hand in the event of a power outage sounds like a good idea.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These are all great ideas...and with the forecast for this weekend very timely. Since my dad installed my A/C for me the weather has been really cool here (ironic i know!). But this weekend it's looking like 34+ with the humidity.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A low-cost solution that I used to do when we had the bunny was to freeze water in milk jugs and leave them sitting in her lounging spots. (Put the milk jugs on towels or they sweat all over.) They can lie near them...they're kinda like space coolers.