How to keep my floor clean from Litter Boxes?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've tried lots of them, and the one that seems to work the best (and hasn't broken down in over a year, which all the other ones did - they get a LOT of use from us!!!) is the cone shaped dirt devil. We got it at Linens N Things. Oh - found a link. http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp...entPage=search

It has a small catch area, so you have to empty it frequently.

...But you may want to see what works best for others.

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bloob & valo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi OK we've got the rolly litter box now....Two problems.

1) We just stuck litter in it. Is that right? Or are the cats supposed to walk on top of that grate I saw in the pic?

2) The cats won't go in it; they're still going in their two other regular litter boxes!

angelyco

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to keep one of those really cheap woven rugs under the litterboxes, but litter would still get on the floor itself. Now I just sweep around the litterboxes every few days, but I know what you mean about the chalk on the floor
We just got a Litter Robot, and now our cats have gotten extra acrobatic about kicking litter out the small opening--and going much farther distances. I might switch to something else that's harder to kick (like World's Best Litter), I haven't decided yet.

bloob & valo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have World's Best and it's a dramatic difference for the short-hair Persian's pushed in nose. He sneezed whenever he was in Fresh Step, never for World's Best.

As far as neatness... World's Best gets kicked on the floor as much as any litter.

angelyco

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does it track less at least? I know the granules are bigger than regular litter, Scoop Away gets stuck in my kitties' paws and tracked all over the house.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a shark sweeper [electronic sweeper thingy] and I just sweep the litter off the floor everyday when I pick it out.

bloob & valo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried the Fresh Step Scoopable cat litter once. My cats were literally flinging it on the bathroom walls. So I know what you mean about getting stuck to paws. Never again!

World's Best (or regular Fresh Step) will not get stuck in your kitties paws. Much easier to sweep up. And blends in much better with my wood floor than the blue regular Fresh Step.

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bloob & valo

Hi OK we've got the rolly litter box now....Two problems.

1) We just stuck litter in it. Is that right? Or are the cats supposed to walk on top of that grate I saw in the pic?

2) The cats won't go in it; they're still going in their two other regular litter boxes!
I have been having a huge tracking problem lately. I have been using tidy cats multiple cats odor control scoopable littler. So are the cats supposed to stand on the grate in the rolly litterbox? I wonder how well that would go over?

mdgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been using Swheat Scoop but making the switch to World's Best since SS cements to the box. I have a covered litter box but Pierre kicks his litter around a lot so it ends up all over the floor. I don't think there would be any litter left in the box if it wasn't covered.

I use one of those cone Dirt Devil hand vacs mentioned earlier to vacuum every day. It's the easiest for my carpeted floors. But my two boys still manage to track it through my place, especially on the stairs just outside my bedroom where I have the box. So, once a week I use the dirt devil to vacuum the stairs. I think I'll use the idea of putting a towel under the litter box though just to keep things a bit more sanitary. Easier to wash a towel regularly than shampoo my carpet.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use WBCL and I got a Booda Dome which has the steps with little bumps leading into it on the side which clean their feet when they exit. Some litter still comes out but I just have a towel folded under the litter pan and that catches most of what is left on their feet.

I found the clay litters to be very dusty and also Swheat Scoop was too dusty for me. Our litter box is beside my dark coloured dresser and it would look white. WBCL doesn't get dusty like that so we're all happy campers.

I tried one of those roll boxes once and didn't like it at all but then that's why there are different products - some of us like 'em, some of us don't.

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are there any good hand vacs for under $40? How long have you had the cone one?

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I place an extra thick pile bathroom mat at the door of the litterbox. Our box has a top on it. When the cats come out and walk across the rug the sand is removed from their paws. When I scoop daily I just pick up the mat and shake it into the trash can to remove any litter.

I've tried all sorts of mats and this option has worked the best for us. Plus, once a week I throw it in the washer and drier so it always stays clean.