How To Keep Kitty Safe By Windows

meowvelousx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has a window that he loves. He sits on the windowsill and stares are anyone walking by. I have a screen on the window but it's opened three times and one time he got out (I was close by so he didn't get lost and we are on the first floor so the fall wasn't bad). I can't go extreme with modifying the screen since my apartment has pretty strict rules. So far I can only open the window then I'm in the room to watch him. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've checked the screen and it seems fine but I guess he puts enough pressure on it to open it.... :(

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Instead of opening the window, can you just get him a window seat or put a cat tree by the window?

Megan S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You could try and see if your apartment complex will replace it. The worst thing they can say is "No." It shouldn't pop out too easily. Other than that I would just suggest watching him or leaving the window closed. My cat loves to look out the window even though it's closed. And also a collar and microchip just incase if he gets out you have a better chance of getting him back.

AlwaysIddie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has a window that he loves. He sits on the windowsill and stares are anyone walking by. I have a screen on the window but it's opened three times and one time he got out (I was close by so he didn't get lost and we are on the first floor so the fall wasn't bad). I can't go extreme with modifying the screen since my apartment has pretty strict rules. So far I can only open the window then I'm in the room to watch him. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've checked the screen and it seems fine but I guess he puts enough pressure on it to open it.... :(
Hi Meowvelousx! I registered an account just to reply to this as I had the same problem. What worked for me was cookie cooling racks. They fit in front of the screen in the window track. We have double windows and while the rack means I can't close the outside window, I can still close the inside window. We're on the third floor in an apartment and I was worried sick over this. Another bonus is that it keeps their claws away from the screen. Walmart had a few different sizes and Wilton actually has an "expand and fold" rack that fit exactly when one side was removed. I hope this helps!

Edited to say that neither of my kitties fell out of the window and I'm glad yours was okay!

Last edited:

AlwaysIddie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_1303.JPG
IMG_1308.JPG
Hi Meowvelousx! I registered an account just to reply to this as I had the same problem. What worked for me was cookie cooling racks. They fit in front of the screen in the window track. We have double windows and while the rack means I can't close the outside window, I can still close the inside window. We're on the third floor in an apartment and I was worried sick over this. Another bonus is that it keeps their claws away from the screen. Walmart had a few different sizes and Wilton actually has an "expand and fold" rack that fit exactly when one side was removed. I hope this helps!

Edited to say that neither of my kitties fell out of the window and I'm glad yours was okay!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Window screens are not meant to hold objects inside. You often see on the news about kids falling out of windows because they were playing near the window and maybe bumped into the screen and the screen gives away and the kid falls out and is seriously injured or worse.

Can you open the windows from the top? If not, then just open the window a few inches to let air in but keep the cat from pressing against the screen. You could try adjustable window screens like this but there's no gurantee that the cat will push up against it and cause it and the regular window screen to fall out.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first thought is buying a wooden lattice, cutting it to size to be bigger than the window and leaning it in front of the window. I like the cookie sheet idea.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
My first thought is buying a wooden lattice, cutting it to size to be bigger than the window and leaning it in front of the window. I like the cookie sheet idea.
:yeah: You could also cut the lattice to fit into the window frame. The cookie sheet is a great idea (I'm filing that one away for future reference).