how to keep kitties away from the door

dara678

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi everybody!

emma almost had an accident today, her legs were peeking out just as i was opening the door! fortunately i opened the door slowly and was able to shoo her away. what tactics do you guys have for keeping your kitties away from the front door?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenever you come in the door can you stomp your feet and shake a can with some pennies in it? Any unpleasant noise your cat can associate with the door.

I hear you though, with the weather getting nice out Tomas has tried to be a little sneaky. The other day I had to partially shut the screen door on him, not hard - just to hold him from squeezing out any further until I could get a hold of him, then shoved him back inside.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the coffee can and pennies works wonders. In fact, it's a great correctional tool all around. Good for counter jumpers, door scooters.. doesn't work so well for agression to the other kitties, though. Haven't found anything successful for this yet, but.. the can works for pretty major stuff.. clawing your sofa...

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
strange_wings;1742568 said:
Whenever you come in the door can you stomp your feet and shake a can with some pennies in it? Any unpleasant noise your cat can associate with the door.

Persi liked to whisk out into the garage every time the door was opened. I cured him of this by honking the car horn when he did that. He never ventures into the garage anymore and he seems to associate that terrifying experience with any door because he never tries to go outside anymore.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I leave the little can of pennies just inside the door, (or if you have a porch, you could leave it just outside)... and I just shake it lightly (too much gives my crew a heartattack...) as I open the door. I only do this when they start running down the steps though. Usually once you do it a few times they'll stay away from the door. The Marbled Menace does occasionally try to run down the steps after we haven't done it in awhile... so we will have to "retrain" her again. The others have it down pat.