How To Keep A Cat Stress Free?

rogue22912

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my boy Gotham just got back from the vet due to a urinary blockage, the vet said it was most likely do to stress. The had to do surgery where they cut into his bladder to remove all the sludge that was in there. They took an ultra sound and they told me it looked like a beach in his bladder.

Now gotham has always been a scaredy cat he freaks out over the littlest noise, We have 4 other cats beside Gotham so a total of 5 cats. I've tried fliaway in the past and it really hasn't done anything. So I was wondering if you guys have an idea that might help him not be so stressed.

Side note when I get the money again as this vet tripped costed me over 5 thousand, I am going to take him to his normal vet and see if they can't give me some anti anxiety meds for him.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Before that, what you could try is chamomile tea. Buy the bags at the grocery store, in the coffee and tea aisle. That assures you that you are using ONLY German chamomile, which is cat-safe in proper dosages. Brew a cup and chill it in the fridge. Administer orally via syringe. The proper dosage is 1-3 teaspoonfuls up to 3 times a day. If your cat weight over 12 pounds, you can go as high a 1-3 tablespoonsful.

The nice thing about chamomile is that it is gently calming without actually being sedating.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also, keep to as regular a routine as possibly. Wake up at the same time, feed at the same time, scoop boxes at the same time. Cats thrive on routine. You should also look into his diet and eliminating grains and dry food, if at all possible. At least increase his wet food and decrease the amount of dry food fed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rogue22912

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, keep to as regular a routine as possibly. Wake up at the same time, feed at the same time, scoop boxes at the same time. Cats thrive on routine. You should also look into his diet and eliminating grains and dry food, if at all possible. At least increase his wet food and decrease the amount of dry food fed.

My routine is pretty regular I feed him and all the other cats at the same time I am usually going to work at the same time give or take an hour. I play with them once I get home. Its my roommates routines that are not so regular, so I don't know how to help him when it comes to my roommates.

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a cat many years ago that had that surgery and I know exactly what you're going through money wise and otherwise. I just ordered some Zylkene thru Amazon. My daughters cat has had blockages and she swears by the Zylkene for calming him down. I haven't gotten or tried mine yet so I don't know if it works.