How to keep a cat entertained while in solitary confinement

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel like an abusive jailor.

We took in a stray tom.  He is lovely, affectionate and the most well-adjusted cat I have EVER met.  He is also FIV+.  We have other neutered male cats in the home.  It is my intention to introduce him to our resident cats but the introduction must be done properly so that they don't fight.  Given his FIV+ status it is even more important that they do not fight and he must be neutered first.

He is slated for neutering on September 24 which means at least another week and a half of solitary confinement.  I spend as much time as I can in the room with him.  In addition to my resident males (3) we also still have two kittens from the stray momma we took in over the summer and they leave for their new homes on Friday after they have been neutered, and we have a dog. So I can't spend all my time in that room, my other boys need some loving too.

He is perfectly content just to have someone in the room with him and he will lay down and go to sleep.  But once you leave he starts meowing at the doors or out the windows.  He makes my heart ache and I keep wondering if I am doing the right thing (but I know I am).

Does anyone have any ideas for toys that will help to keep him entertained when we can't be in the room with him?  I have a backyard with bird feeders and I have some catnip mice in the room but it isn't enough.  it is going to be a long ten days.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you put a radio or tv in the room.  The noise might make him feel like he isn't alone.  Or a stuffed animal.