How To Introduce New Puppy

djkitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone.

I'm adopting a small puppy next week. Does anyone have tips on how to introduce a puppy to resident cats?

I have a 1 1/2yro kitty and a 3month old kitten.

Thanks for any suggestions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

djkitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Suggestions on how to introduce new puppy to resident cats needed.

Thanks so much

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most of the articles are written from the standpoint of the dogs being older, not the cats, but here is one method that works. In the articles section, there is one about introducing cats to dogs.  (I tried to link it, but my computer is not cooperating. The next link works and is in the same section.)  I am also going to include one for cats to cats. www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

Using a combination of the two, you should get some good ideas. The biggest thing is to do it slowly. The cats will see the dog as an intruder on their safe and comfortable home, and the puppy will see two tigers that want to eat him. Being a puppy and wanting to play with anything and everything will make it a little harder.

Take it slow, and keep asking questions and giving updates.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

djkitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most of the articles are written from the standpoint of the dogs being older, not the cats, but here is one method that works. In the articles section, there is one about introducing cats to dogs.  (I tried to link it, but my computer is not cooperating. The next link works and is in the same section.)  I am also going to include one for cats to cats. www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

Using a combination of the two, you should get some good ideas. The biggest thing is to do it slowly. The cats will see the dog as an intruder on their safe and comfortable home, and the puppy will see two tigers that want to eat him. Being a puppy and wanting to play with anything and everything will make it a little harder.

Take it slow, and keep asking questions and giving updates.
Thanks for the links. Cats to cats I'm really familiar with but I will check out both.