How to introduce a foster momma cat and kittens to my resident cat? Please help!

newkittenmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys, first of all, I'm really sorry if there is another thread related to this, I really couldn't find it. I've been reading this site without participating much for the past two years, and it's really gotten me through many a pickle as a first-time cat parent.

Quite long background story:
Last December, I found a lovely calico fluff on my parking lot, she was a rather friendly stray with two kittens. We started feeding her when we saw her from time to time, but one day we found she could barely walk. She had an infected tooth that had decayed giving her a horrible infection that even pierced her jaw. I obviously took her to the vet right away since I know how dangerous these infections can get. The vet kept her for a week and controlled her infection. As it turns out, she was very pregnant already with a new litter, and wouldn't leave my doorstep when we came back home.

On January 9th I took my cat to my room and opened the house door for the stray, we call her Noona, she walked right in and followed me. She's been with us for nearly two months now in her own bedroom. Her kittens were born two weeks ago and are 5 adorable fluff balls, this site saved me during her pregnancy and labor! Sadly her tooth infection came back so we're waiting for the babies to start eating on their own for her to have tooth surgery and also get spayed. She's currently on antibiotics and stable.

So here's the thing. I have a nearly two-year-old cat at home, "Sushi". She is sweet and likes people well enough, but has quite THE temper. She also gets stressed quite easily and reacts poorly when so. I tried getting her and Noona comfortable around each other's scent before Noona gave birth by feeding them together through a closed door, giving them pieces of cloth with each other's scent and so on. I was also using a Feliway multi-cat diffuser to help out. But on one occasion when I opened the door to feed her, Noona ran out of her room, I panicked and screamed (which was a bad reaction on my part) so my cat Sushi came running over and tackled the foster cat. Nothing really happened except a lot of screaming because my husband separated them on time. After that, I re-started the introduction process again but very unsuccessfully. Noona was hissing, swatting and bitting at the door whenever Sushi passed by, so Sushi would also start hissing and fighting from the other side. I am guessing this reaction was because Noona was getting closer to her labor due date.

Now that the kittens are starting to walk I've been worrying more about what I should be doing in regards to my resident cat. I've still been feeding her near the foster's room, but there has been little improvement on either side, although there is way less fighting through the door since the kittens were born. I let Noona out of her room once or twice a day while my cat is sleeping in my bedroom, but I'm afraid that in two weeks that little time won't be enough for her or her kittens. They are in a small room, and 5 kittens and an adult in there all day might be too much. What should I do? I know my cat will get increasingly more curious with the kittens, but she still hisses at that door sometimes. Should I introduce my cat to the babies away from the mom? Is there a different process when introducing a resident cat to a mom and her kittens? Should I just keep trying to conciliate Sushi and Noona? My husband thinks I should just leave them alone, but I think it would be cruel to have Noona stuck in that room for such a long time while waiting for the kittens to be old enough and for her to get surgery, to be ready to find her a new home. I really love Noona and I adore my cat. I wish I could make them more comfortable and at ease with each other.

Sorry for the super long story, thank you if you got this far.

This is Noona and with her babies :
IMG_20200222_223036.jpg

And this is my girl, Sushi:
IMG_20200108_214435.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome !!

They are in a small room, and 5 kittens and an adult in there all day might be too much.
They're fine, especially since you're letting mama out to roam, so yes, your husband is right :).

Also try and be more relaxed. That will be very good for everyone 👍

By the way I wouldn't let your other cat near the kittens at all.

In other words one thing at a time. Leave mama and kittens as they are. Get mama healthy so her all around stress is less, and the kittens fully weaned.

Then see about finding new homes and/or integrating them. You've done a wonderful job! They're all with you now, safe and well taken care of, and you don't need to rush a thing. Enjoy them, --they are beautiful cats!

This last is valid for adult cats too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newkittenmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Furballsmom Furballsmom !
I really just want them all to be chill and happy. Specially Noona since she's been through a lot these past months.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldnt introduce the kittens until 7-8 weeks old to be honest, just do scent swapping so they all get used to each other's scent :)