how to introduce a dog to my cats?

lee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have two cats, indoor only, male 6 months old and female 5 months, both recently neutered. I visited an animal shelter recently and am planning to bring home a small dog before it is euthanized (looks like about 2 years old) sort of a mix between a corgi and chihuahua in looks and size. We'll have to keep her inside because we don't have a fence and it will take a week or so to put an enclosure in. I'll exercise her on a leash until then. How do I introduce my two very indulged kitties to this dog, sho will now be sharing their 1,800 sq. foot kingdom (our home)? She looks scared to death in the shelter so I don't think she'll be aggressive.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First you need to find out if the dog likes/dislikes cats. Second, its temperament does make a difference too.
My Shih'tzu, Jello, grew up without cats. But he is a very friendly dog and knows when to back away if it feels there's any danger to himself.
My cats (specially joji) don't like dogs, but they've accepted Jello after a few days. They checked him out and I think they knew he was no threat to them.
It is also a good idea to make the dog understand that he is not the alpha in the group. Pet, feed, play with your cats first and then the dog. Dogs being pack animals understand about ranks.
Good luck!