How to introduce a cat to a new area

g-reg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there any way that works to introduce a cat to a new area without scaring it half to death?  Our cat has never been in our basement, the other day I figured I'd take him down the stairs to introduce him to the new area.  Made it one step down before my shoulder got 10 claws in it and a MEOW loud enough you'd think I was trying to kill him!  Any tips on making the next attempt a little smoother?

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your basement door always open? If not, try leaving it open and see if your cat wanders down there himself. If the door is always open and he still doesn't go down there, you could try bribing him to go down there with treats or a toy, or go down there yourself and call to him if he is inclined to follow you places. If nothing gentle works, I'd say your cat just prefers staying upstairs. NYou shouldn't try carrying him someplace he doesn't want to go., or he may start to run away when he sees you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

g-reg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Left the door open and he was down there exploring the next day. 

jessicaromano

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When we adopted our cat we confined him to one room until we knew he would use the litterbox, which only took a day. Next day we gave him free roam of the house, and not once did he panic, he loved the freedom and now he has his favorite spots in different rooms he likes now.

Unless some room has dangerous things, I think all cats should have free roam of the house and not be confined to any one room, it's just not fair.