How To Identify A Silent Heat In Cat

mansoor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat had her first heat cycle 3 months ago and have not yet returned to heat till now. i took her to the vet got her xray and ultrasound done but everything was normal and the vet told me to wait and observe for heat. Is there any way of identifying silent heat like any sort of test etc.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The easiest is probably to scratch her or even touch her at the base of the tail [on the back]. She will probably lay down into the mating position if in heat. or otherwise begin to behave visibly.

But it is often difficult to know for a human. A tom notices it of course. Or a male cat whom was cut late as adult, and knows what it is.
Some breeders has such a neutered cat exactly for this purpose (and as a pet of course).

In the world of horses they have an especial probier stud. its often a cheap horse or even donkey. So it wouldnt cost much if he happens to get hurt, but he will show clearly if the mare is in heat....

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please reconsider spaying your cat, or at least stop letting her outside. She doesn’t need to have a litter for her health or happiness. It’s actually risking her health to allow her to mate with random males. Diseases and parasites can be transmitted, and pregnancy and delivery can seriously threaten her health.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats vary in how often they go into heat. It may just be normal for your cat to go several months between heat cycles.

I looked at your other posts and I see that your cat is a Persian. It is quite complicated to breed and raise Persians. Because of their large heads, Persians are also more likely than other cats to have problems during the birth process. Breeding your cat could even be life threatening for her. If you are not working with an experienced breeder that can advise you, I would agree with talkingpeanut and encourage you to have her spayed.

If you really want to breed Persians, I suggest that you go to a local cat show, meet and talk to Persian breeders, and learn about what is involved in breeding these cats. Where in the world are you located?

KitLyttle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can someone give more details on establishing if a queen is just silent in heat? One of my critters is a female now almost a year and a half. She was a Very young foundling (approx 8 - 10 days) raised by hand, and has shown nothing at all to indicate estrus, even when stroked or scruff tugged. I am disabled, on a pension, and use a subsidized vet service. Obviously, I will make use of them when needed (all my others are fixed) but I try hard to not tie up funds/resources if possible. My cats never go outdoors - do you think I should hold off to see if she goes into heat? Or should I just use the resource and have her spayed regardless?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree. Go ahead and get her spayed for all of the above-mentioned reasons. Thank you for adopting her! :)

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just go ahead and spay her. It is the best option and most responsible thing to do for your pet cats. There is always a chance she could slip out and then what?