How To Help Cat Adapt To New Home

vanemeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i went to the animal shelter to adopt a cat. There was a man outside looking to give away his cat. I felt bad and decided to take his cat home too in addition to the cat from the shelter. The cat from the shelter had adapted well. The other cat is hiding in a corner. The man gave me its bed, toys, food and bowls. When the shelter cat approached it, it hissed at it. I was petting the other cat and after a while it began hissing at me. I don’t know what to do.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. First off, the second cat that you took in, did you have it looked/tested by a vet before exposing it to the shelter cat you just got? That is of the utmost importance to make sure this cat is disease/parasite free, and won't be able to spread something to your other cat.

After that, until some other members with more direct experience come along to offer their input, can you glean a plan for helping both become familiar to you, your home, and each other from these TCS articles?

Bringing Home A New Cat - The Complete Guide

Introducing Cats To Cats

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I think that you are a very kind hearted person to have taken the cat from the man outside the shelter. You may have saved it from being dumped or just turned loose being that it is odd that the man did not just walk in the shelter. You were not expecting this to happen so I think that you need to go back to the plans for introducing cats to one another and start over with getting them acquainted. Getting the non shelter cat checked is also really important.