How To Help A Traumatized Cat?

nlevi42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Morris, was out in the yard like always today, but the gates are always closed to keep him safe from dogs. Someone in my family made the brilliant decision to open the gates while my neighbor's 175 pound rottweiler was off the leash, which resulted in him lunging into our garden and for my cat. Morris is okay and escaped without injury, but he hid under a table outside for an hour and now that he's at home he won't stop shaking and lowers himself to the ground and meows when you try to touch him. It's been about ~7 hours since the 'attack'. Is there anything I can do to support him during this time, or help him get back to his usual self? I just want to know how I can be helpful and let him know that I'm here to help, not agitate him.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello nlevi42, please keep assuring your cat and help him gain back his confidence.

Keep talking to him, telling him in a loving voice and say it's ok, no more and pet him calmly with assuring strokes.

Grab his blanket and toys and place them where he is and play with him to distract his thoughts. Hopefully he'll get over it soon.