How to help a fat cat lose weight?

silentgirl490

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was originally a stray and was very skinny when we found him. We then got him fixed and ever since then he has gained a lot of weight. He seems to eat food for comfort or when he is happy (he wants to eat after we pet him, which is a lot of the time)

Anyways we have 3 other healthy sized cats which is why it is hard to put him on a diet.

We have tried science diet weight control for all of the cats but it doesn't seem to really help, is there any way to keep him from eating without depriving the other cats of the food we leave out? We can't watch him 24/7.

We have also tried exercising him with a laser pointer and his favorite toy stick thing but it doesn't seem to help. When we took him to the vet for his last shots the doctor didn't say anything about his weight but he is about 25 pounds now. What can I do that will actually work to help him lose weight?

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hands down the best weight-loss regime for cats is to stop free-feeding kibble and switch over to a wet food diet. It will also benefit your other cats, who really don't need to snack 24/7. Some great info at this link on the relationship of dry food and obesity: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=felineobesity

hobo08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a fat cat that needs to loose at least 2 pounds. I have swithced him over to a a wet diet since joining this forum. So far no weight loss, but I need to make him exercise. I have a lazer pointer and a wand toy too and he just wont chase for long.

He weighs 14lbs and should weigh 12lbs.

I really think canned food would be much better for your cats.

sevenwonders

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I agree with the others...

I had a few chubby kitties as well,

and by switching to mainly wet foods and stopping their "grazing" they have all lost a little weight.

Switching them to Grain Free helped even more!

Since kitties don't digest grains anyway, they now eat less,

and I have a lot less poo to clean from the litter box  

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hands down the best weight-loss regime for cats is to stop free-feeding kibble and switch over to a wet food diet. It will also benefit your other cats, who really don't need to snack 24/7. Some great info at this link on the relationship of dry food and obesity: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=felineobesity
:yeah: Timed feedings and grain-free wet food are your real ammunition!

I have a fat cat that needs to loose at least 2 pounds. I have swithced him over to a a wet diet since joining this forum. So far no weight loss, but I need to make him exercise. I have a lazer pointer and a wand toy too and he just wont chase for long.
Once they're on timed feedings, even if wet food, the next step in losing weight is portion control. :)

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I once asked a friend who was a cat expert and cat judge. she advised to get another cat to exercise my fat cat.

I think the advise from here will help you better.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Waltam Center for Pet Nutrition suggests and 80%wet to a 20% dry diet for our feline friends.  That will help control weight.  In many circumstances this may not be possible due to a variety of factors, including the pet parent's budget.  My suggestion to you if you can not go to a wet diet for whatever reason, try controlled, scheduled feedings for all of your cats.  This way you can monitor what the little chub is eating.  And good on you for the exercise.  I'm sure your kitty appreciates all the fun

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Waltam Center for Pet Nutrition suggests and 80%wet to a 20% dry diet for our feline friends. 
In what context - just a feeding guideline? Or a weight management program?

Also, FYI for others reading the thread, the Waltham Center for Pet Nutrition is owned by Mars, Inc., and does research for the Pet Food Industry. They're not looking for species-appropriate foods or diets. It is a well-respected research center, no question. But Mars also owns Royal Canin and the brand Mike works for, Nutro Natural Choice (and Whiskas, and all of these: http://www.waltham.com/brands.htm ). I would definitely take their recommendation with a grain of salt (or with a pile of salt).

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Waltam Center for Pet Nutrition suggests and 80%wet to a 20% dry diet for our feline friends. 
In what context - just a feeding guideline? Or a weight management program?

Also, FYI for others reading the thread, the Waltham Center for Pet Nutrition is owned by Mars, Inc., and does research for the Pet Food Industry. They're not looking for species-appropriate foods or diets. It is a well-respected research center, no question. But Mars also owns Royal Canin and the brand Mike works for, Nutro Natural Choice (and Whiskas, and all of these: http://www.waltham.com/brands.htm ). I would definitely take their recommendation with a grain of salt (or with a pile of salt).

Yeah, it would be pretty shocking for the research arm of a pet food manufacturer to recommend against feeding an entire category (kibble) of their own products!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, it would be pretty shocking for the research arm of a pet food manufacturer to recommend against feeding an entire category (kibble) of their own products!
That's why I think the recommendation is worthless. :nod:

Edited to add: Well, worthless to us as consumers. Incredibly valuable to Mars' kibble product lines. :lol3:

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I also have one cat who needs to lose, and 2 who are their perfect weight.  We have recently switched from free feeding of dry to an all wet diet on a schedule.  My piglet has already lost some weight!  One other thing we do for exercise is when I hand out treats, which are now freeze dried pieces of either chicken or other whole proteins (rather than kibble like substances) I toss them across the room, and ll the cats chase them down, getting their fun AND exercise at the same time.  They look like a mini baseball team when we do it.  The fat one jumps up and tries to catch his, and if he misses, then he zooms down the hall to get it before someone else beats him to it.  Great exercise! 

hobo08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:yeah: Timed feedings and grain-free wet food are your real ammunition!

Once they're on timed feedings, even if wet food, the next step in losing weight is portion control. :)
Yep that is right and he has been on scheduled feedings since I adopted him in 2010.I think I must need to figure out the portions better.