How to handle issue with neighbor's cat

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello, All. I have 5 cats, all rescues. I keep all of my cats indoor, always have.

My next door neighbor lets her cat out. She used to have 2, but 1 disappeared a few years ago. At that time I suggested she keep her cat as indoor only, but she really wasn't interested. There are no other cats roaming about in my area. There is an abandoned barn about 1/4 mile away with some strays / ferals, but they tend to remain down there, the farm and fields provide them all they need and they never come up the hill to where I live.

Three years ago, I xeriscaped 3/4 of my yard. No more lawn to mow! I have many plants for pollinators: bees, birds and butterflies. I see possum, groundhog, chipmunks, rabbits and more in my yard. This Spring one rabbit made her den under one of my hydrangea bushes. The lady across the street first noticed it. (That house is a raised ranch, so she is elevated when she sits and looks out at the yards, gets a good view.) And she said she had another rabbit with a den in her yard, as well. We both enjoyed watching the mothers when they were out, and we set out fresh veggies for the 2 does. We were looking forward to seeing the babies once they emerged from the den.

The babies from my den were killed by the neighbor's cat within half an hour of their coming out. The babies across the street were killed by the same cat within an hour of coming out. The woman across the street said she saw the cat kill the babies in my yard, but not the ones in her yard. We found them dead, the cat just does a bite, does not eat at all. The puncture wounds aren't even visible in every case.

When the baby birds in the nests in my evergreens became fledglings, several of them were killed by the cat, as well. I buried all the bunnies and birds.

I am sick about this. I feel like my yard has become a trap for wildlife. I want to tell the woman next door what her cat has done, and I really want to say her cat is no longer welcome in my yard.

Realistic? Her cat has been outdoors for all his life, I have lived here 5 years so he is at least that old. I doubt she could make him stay indoors now, even if she wanted to.

Thoughts? Ideas, suggestions of phrases or how to say what I want to say? Help appreciated.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
its a cat following its instinct imo to hunt but it never learned thats food to eat by its mother. you could probably spray the edges of your property with a mix of essential peppermint oils and water. cats avoid that smell but that cat will still do what its gonna do elsewhere i think or you can adopt a dog that will try to keep that cat away from your yard.:)i should also say that there is a service in my area called poop 911to hunt that will pick up poop weekly for about 30bux a week depending on dog size and amounts of poop.not much hope it helps idea wise for your problem

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have heard that cats will avoid getting too close to certain plants because of the smell they emit - rosemary, for example, which is safe for rabbits/birds to eat and/or be around. If your landscape/climate can accommodate it, you might try planting some as an experiment in your yard to see if you can determine if the cat is staying away from those areas. If so, you could plant more around the areas where the rabbits and birds are living. There are other plants like rosemary that you could either ask a local garden center about or look them up online.

If the cat enters your yard in a specific area, you could also consider laying down chicken wire on the ground - most cats do not like to walk on it because of how it feels to their paws, but it wouldn't hurt the cat in anyway otherwise. Not sure if it would bother the rabbits, but I suspect not knowing how many I have seen that have managed to get through chicken wire that has been put up to save certain garden crops.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
you can adopt a dog that will try to keep that cat away from your yard.:)
I have 5 dogs. See my signature photo? Only shows 4, I added in Dec 2019, need to get her pic in there. Anyway: My backyard is fenced in, the dogs go out there. Still have lawn back there, still mow, etc. Cat goes on the rest of my yard which is not fenced in, not used by the dogs. So that doesn't matter.

The darn cat will sit outside the fence and groom himself, making the dogs bark like crazy. LOL

heyitskevinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most plant suggestions you hear echoed around for this purpose are poisonous to felines, so I'd ignore those. Try sprinklers and things of that nature instead.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried one of those motion sprinklers?
Most plant suggestions you hear echoed around for this purpose are poisonous to felines, so I'd ignore those. Try sprinklers and things of that nature instead.
The rabbits are not going to be fans of the sprinklers any more so than the cat. If it hits the plants that the birds nest in, they are not going to appreciate it either. And, as far as all I have researched rosemary plants are not toxic, just an odor deterrent, to cats. It is neither toxic or an odor deterrent for birds or rabbits.

heyitskevinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The rabbits are not going to be fans of the sprinklers any more so than the cat. If it hits the plants that the birds nest in, they are not going to appreciate it either. And, as far as all I have researched rosemary plants are not toxic, just an odor deterrent, to cats. It is neither toxic or an odor deterrent for birds or rabbits.
Rosemary can cause seizures in small animals. Water is still a bit safer IMO, maybe....... Possibly.......? :)
It's said it is just the oil, however, we had a feral that ingested some and had a seizure, so. Yknow, typical faulty and lazy research.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since this is 3/4 of my yard, I would need an awful lot of motion sprinklers, at least 8, likely 10.

I still think my original post, asking what to say when I speak TO HER, is my best bet. Guess I'll just have to think about it to come up with some wording.

heyitskevinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since this is 3/4 of my yard, I would need an awful lot of motion sprinklers, at least 8, likely 10.

I still think my original post, asking what to say when I speak TO HER, is my best bet. Guess I'll just have to think about it to come up with some wording.
Perhaps a snazzy threat if all else fails, "I'll call animal services" seems to be the only thing that's ever worked with our very southern neighbors... Even if I wasn't gonna. :hyper: If they don't take it seriously you could actually call.
Before that, suggest to her catio ideas, maybe bring up the stats on outdoor cats (hint: they die very early, and very painfully.)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At that time I suggested she keep her cat as indoor only, but she really wasn't interested.
Since the circumstances are different, you could tell her what is happening and ask if she might have any ideas how to prevent it. It doesn't hurt to try just to talk with her about what you and your other neighbor have seen first hand. Not accusatory, just asking if she could help you come up with some different ideas of things to try.

But, you also mentioned the feral cats that you don't seem to think are coming into your area - I am guessing you mentioned that because you are already suspecting that is what this person is going to suggest to be the source of the problem...

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since the circumstances are different, you could tell her what is happening and ask if she might have any ideas how to prevent it. It doesn't hurt to try just to talk with her about what you and your other neighbor have seen first hand. Not accusatory, just asking if she could help you come up with some different ideas of things to try.

But, you also mentioned the feral cats that you don't seem to think are coming into your area - I am guessing you mentioned that because you are already suspecting that is what this person is going to suggest to be the source of the problem...
Oh, no I only mentioned it to show I am aware of what cats are in the area. She is young and I think this may make some bit of difference to her outlook.

The argument that outdoor cats have a shorter life . . . he is already at least 7 years old.

If / when he passes, I want her to know so that if nothing else, she keeps her future cats as indoor only. From what I know about cats, trying to make this male indoor only is not going to work well. He will howl and hammer at the door, I'm sure, but he may even stop using a litter box when he is indoors. That wouldn't be good, either.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Perhaps a snazzy threat if all else fails, "I'll call animal services" seems to be the only thing that's ever worked with our very southern neighbors... Even if I wasn't gonna. :hyper: If they don't take it seriously you could actually call.
Before that, suggest to her catio ideas, maybe bring up the stats on outdoor cats (hint: they die very early, and very painfully.)
I had forgotten about catios, because I don't use them. Thanks for adding that to my list of things to discuss!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe try telling her that her cat is harassing and killing wildlife on your property and you find it distressing to find dead/killed animals on your property, that you are trying to create a safe habitat for wildlife and the cat is a threat to them. You can also mention the cat is making a mess in your flowerbeds and the waste is a health hazard (E.coli, toxoplasmosis) to you when you are gardening.

You could try a printout from the Audubon society or the Cornell lab of ornithology that talks about the impact cats have on wildlife. Sometimes attempting to educate works better than simply asking them to keep their cat indoors.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She already lost one cat that was an outdoor cat, and she has to know that cats kill wildlife, and the point you made about the 7 y.o. being a lifelong outdoor only cat is valid as well. Conversion is doable, but it is a PITA, and can come with litter box problems. So I think convincing her is a tall order. Still, there is no harm in trying. Have pictures of dead animals and your torn up garden. But you may well need a threat to call animal control to have a shot.

You could try a super soaker. It has a very low chance of working. I've never heard anyone say they succeeded with such an approach. I tried something similar and it failed miserably. But all cats are different, and many dont like water, so who knows?