How to Give an Injured Cat a Pill?

Tido

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

My cat somehow managed to have two of his ribs broken last week. He has since recieved veterinary care, and due to an infection, we now have to give him one and a half pills twice daily.

My concern is that I can't handle him very much at all, so it is incredibly difficult to position him in such a way that I can give him the pills without him backing up or moving away completely. I find it easier to give him his pain meds which are in a syringe, because I can gently press the syringe against his teeth until he opens up. But with pills, I have to manually open his mouth, and I'm struggling to get the knack of it.

It would be a lot easier if I could snuggle him into me, but I can't move him very much. There doesn't seem to be any information online that I can find about how to give an injured cat a pill.

Does anyone have experience with this? I would very much appreciate any tips and tricks, bearing in mind this is for a cat who cannot be handled around the ribs and tummy.

Most days I can have someone helping me, but there are three days a week when that person is working, so I have to manage on my own. Thanks in advance for anything you guys can think of.

Tido

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Check with your vet first, because not all meds can be given this way, but is it possible to crush the pills and add them to some wet food?

One of my feral cats needs medication for his kidneys twice daily. I can't touch him at all, but he'll take the pill crushed up in a blob of soft cheese.

You can also get pill pockets to hide the pills in.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B000JOE224/?tag=

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tido

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Check with your vet first, because not all meds can be given this way, but is it possible to crush the pills and add them to some wet food?

One of my feral cats needs medication for his kidneys twice daily. I can't touch him at all, but he'll take the pill crushed up in a blob of soft cheese.

You can also get pill pockets to hide the pills in.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B000JOE224/?tag=
Thank you so much for your suggestions. Unfortunately the veterinarian instructed us to not try crushing the pills, so I won't be able to take that route. I will see if I can find pill pockets in my country, that's an interesting idea. Thanks again!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Tido

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pilling tips:

Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills – TheCatSite Articles
The Best Pill-taking Secret I Know...
Pilling Cats and Dogs Safely
How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill
Getting Cat To Take Pills... Post Tips Here.

Using a Pill Pocket or something else works well.

Compounding the medicine into a different form may he an option. Ask your vet. Many medicines can be compounded into flavored chew treats or liquids or transdermal gel, among other things.
Thank you for the links and suggestions, I'll definitely have a chat with the vet when I take him in next week.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet for a can of Hills A/D

You don’t even need a syringe. I just pack Betty’s meds into gelatin capsules I buy off of Amazon and twist the capsules into a spoonful of A/D. Just enough to coat the outside of the capsule. I drop it on the carpet and Betty scoops and swallows. You could use a textured placemat if you don’t want to drop food coated meds onto the carpet.

Tido

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ask your vet for a can of Hills A/D

You don’t even need a syringe. I just pack Betty’s meds into gelatin capsules I buy off of Amazon and twist the capsules into a spoonful of A/D. Just enough to coat the outside of the capsule. I drop it on the carpet and Betty scoops and swallows. You could use a textured placemat if you don’t want to drop food coated meds onto the carpet.

Thank you, that's also a good idea. I'll talk to my vet about it :)