How to get them to accept harnesses...

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My parents adopted two kittens last Fall- one is about 8 months, the other just about a year now.  The younger, (neutered male) is the wildest kitten any of us has ever seen, and will not calm down.  They play with him as much as possible (they're both approaching 80), and his sister loves to play as well, but he is not calm.

They want to abide by the humane society's "no outside cat" plan, so have purchased harnesses for these guys to get to come outside in the summer safely.  Neither cat likes their harness, which my parents try to put on for a few minutes each day, offering plenty of treats, to get them to accept them.  The younger kitten cannot stand the harness.

Any advice as to how long it normally takes for cats/kittens to adjust to a harness?  They really want to make this work, and possibly help with little guy's boredom.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
D your parents have room to put up a catio (outdoor cat enclosure)?  That might be a good alternative if the kitties don't take well to the harnesses.  

Last edited:

penofdl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mostly it's just a matter of time and association. When I first started harness training my cat, she hated it. She would fight and yowl when I tried to put it on her. She'd wrestle to try and get it off once it was on. She would do anything possible, including getting herself tied in knots, to try and pull it off. I did treats and inside walks to try and get her used to it, too, but she didn't really -accept- the harness until I started talking her outside on it regularly.

After about a month of trips outside whenever I would put the harness on her, she will actually sit still and let me put it on her without too much protest (unless I accidentally tug at her fur when I'm doing so) because she knows that the second the harness goes on, the door threshold is no longer a barrier, and she can dart around outside to her heart's contentment. She's actually gotten to the point where she fights more when I try and take it off once we're back inside. 

I would say, just give it a little more time. Even if they don't particularly enjoy the harness anytime soon, they should at least slowly start to be begrudging about having to wear it.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
That's good advice, @penofdl  .  I mentioned the catio because some cats just don't "do" harnesses.  Then again, I've only tried with adult cats, I never tried it with kittens.  Hopefully the consistency and patience will pay off.  

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm just starting the harness on my kitten Izzy also.  She didn't seem to appreciate it alot but wasn't that big of a deal.  The younger you start the easier they will accept it I would think.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your responses!  I guess they'll need to be consistent and keep trying...