How to get the feral kitty out of the trap?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's so great you are making progress with Holly!!
I agree with Momofmany, getting the trust of a feral (or semi-feral) is one of the greatest feelings in the world
I subscribe to belief of "if you wait, they will come" sometimes it takes longer than others, but eventually, especially if they see you interacting with other cats, they will come around

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The last few days have been very good, Holly let us pet her for the first time today!!!!

She started playing with the kitty toys this week, and jumping up on the bed while we are in it. Then this afternoon she let hubby pet her, and then this evening when I got home I got to pet her too! She is getting a little more brave every day, so I think she is going to do just fine here.

She likes hubby the best it seems, even though I am the litter box and kitchen slave....sigh

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We are about half way into the sixth week with Holly, and she has come a long way. She still doesn't want to be picked up, but will sit in our laps when the mood strikes her.

Holly LOVES hubby, follows him everywhere he goes in the house and talks to him. This past weekend we barbequed some steak and scallops, and suddenly Holly is Holly the Begger Girl.

She doesn't spend her day hiding anymore, comes out to greet us when we come home and when we wake up in the morning, and is taking her bath on the couch right now. I think she is about 14 weeks old now, and I am pretty sure she likes it here.

The Rod and Gun Club kitty trapping has continued, so far three kittens and one cat have been trapped and fostered out. The full grown cat was not feral, appeared to be someone's pet and likely was dumped there.

Momma cat continues to evade the trap, but we are hoping to TNR her.

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We think Holly is just over a year old now, and I am so happy we were able to socialize her. She has quite the personality, and has taken to sleeping with me when I am home. I work nights, but she sleeps on my side of the bed when I am not home.

Her momma has been spotted on numerous occasions at the gun club, and continues to evade capture. She has been known to shut down the 100 yard line by sauntering across the range until someone shoos her off.

I was there yesterday and was told there are more kittens, one has been trapped and is at the Marin County Humane Society. I hope someone will give the kitty a home...we are up to five now, and a stray who showed up in our yard a few months ago makes it six really (I am going to see about finding a home for Mr. Stray.)

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update, Lakeriedog! It's always nice to hear how things turned out. :-)

Too bad they can't catch momma cat, 'though. Has anyone though of tranquilizing her? Hmmm, can you even do that to a cat?

In any case, you've clearly done wonderful by Holly. I have five cats, too, all ex-ferals I trapped myself (one set at 8 weeks, the second at 12). I don't do rescues anymore because I clearly have issues letting them go after socializing them.