How to get rid of outside visiting cat

rirunyan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For the past year our fixed male cat has started spraying in our house. Nothing has changed on the inside of the home. We have ruled out health issues. He was fine for 7 years.

A cat from the neighborhood has been coming up to our windows and is causing our cat to get into an anxious fit. We believe this might be the root of the problem. What is the best way to keep the intruder off of our property?

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You could try a motion sensing sprinkler (they have them at Home Depot). Or try placing fresh lemon peels or coffee grounds around the perimeter of your yard or underneath the windows the strange cat is approaching. Many cats dislike the smell of both of those. I have used citrus peels with success to keep my cat out of a flower bed. Thorny clippings from rose bushes work, too. Garden centers sell sprays that are supposed to work, but I don't know how safe or effective they are. A pet store may have a similar product.

Do not use pepper, as many sites will suggest. It can get in the cat's eyes when it bathes. This is extremely painful and can cause permanent damage, possibly blindness. It is terribly inhumane, even though it is touted as a 'natural' solution by some.

I hope something works for you so your cat can take it easy. He must be pretty stressed out, the poor thing. Good luck!

blackcat416

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use comfort spray. Got it on Amazon.com. Works off of batteries and if any animal comes within 3 feet of it, it sprays a water mist at the intruder and off they go. But I suspect that any outside visitor has sprayed outside as well that's why your cat is marking inside. He is declaring his territory. So invest in a black light and see where the intruders have peed. Then clean it good with something like Natures Miracle for cats which will remove the pee and the scent. You can get both at Amazon.