How to get rid of a runny eye

emmygoat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Toothless has always had a slightly runny eye ever since I first got him. Sometimes it gets a little gookier and dark, and sometimes its just clear and really runny. I always wipe it away before I go to work, and before bed. I'm not sure if I should be concerned about it and try and find medicine for it (since it's been like this for almost a year now), or just continue dealing with it. It doesn't seem to ever bother him.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is most likely herpesvirus, and although named this because it's for life, it won't always be like this.

During kittenhood and times in adulthood where they feel stressed, it will show itself again, and kittens is of course due to the weaker immune system, not mature enough yet to keep it at bay.

You can give a lysine supplement daily for life though, this is very helpful in preventing the runny eyes.

You can also put terramycin antibacterial eye ointment in his eye, this is a big help in getting this cleared up.

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a kitty like this, he almost always has a goopy eye or two. I don't worry about it unless he starts showing other symptoms (eg. lethargic, nose discharge, reduced appetite). I also have a girl kitty who has a narrow tear duct in one eye so she is prone to having discharge from that one eye. 

Catwoman707 is right, it's probably herpes virus. Many cats have it and it tends to flare up when they are stressed. Lysine will help and it comes in powder form or even a treat form that is very easy to give.