how to get outside cat use to new outside home

lorimer71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I have a new 5 month old cat that was an inside/outside cat at his old home. I'm trying to get him use to his new location also as an inside/outside cat. What do you think would be the bestway? I don't want him to run away and i do want him able to go out when i'm there without a harness. Any thoughts?

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When you first move, its' important to give the cat time to get used to the new locale INSIDE.  Cats have senses we don't have and they need to reorient to the new location.  I think if you give them time, they will eventually want to venture outside if they were outside before, but they hould not be placed outside or forced to go outside before they personally make the choice. It's important to note if the new home is similar to the old home in terms of outside safety.  Is it a fenced yard?  Are there dogs in the neighborhood that run loose?  Are you far away from streets with traffic?  Are there predators such as coyotes and foxes in the area?  Your cat will be used to what he had before.  If there were friendly dogs, he may be trusting.  If he had a fence, he may assume nothing outside can get in.  If there were no cars, he may never have developed any car sense.  If he does accept a harness, you can let him explore IF HE WANTS TO using that for safety.  If not, then when you go out, leave the door open and see if he follows and walks with you. If he does, stay with him for the first explorations, and always leave the door open wide enough so he can run back inside if startled.  In time, he'll be meowing at the door and asking to go out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lorimer71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. He came from a busy street in a built up neighborhood. From my understanding he would come and go as he pleased. I've taken him out a couple of times and left the door open for him. I've only have had him for 2 weeks. He's only going out with me. I don't plan on leaving him out. Thanks again.
Richard