How To Get Kittens To Stop Laying On Me Without Making Them Hate Me?

mike758

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two kittens and every time I lay down or sit down they always climb on me and lay on me. It’s cute, but also very annoying when you can’t sit down for just a few minutes without a cat climbing on you. I sometimes pick them up and set them on the floor, but then they just jump back up. I don’t want to yell or spray them with water because then they might be afraid of me. I’m wondering if there’s some alternatives, or if they’ll eventually grow out of it?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! You might have to contain them elsewhere, if they have low volume music, toys, a heating pad on low with a couple towels over that, they should be content. Will they grow out of it? I don't know.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, the only thing that's going to lay on you is a hen. If you discourage them from lying in your lap, they will eventually give it up, and then the day will come when you would like to have them in your lap, and they won't come. So let them climb on you. They will soon learn when you've had enough and will jump off.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long have you had the kittens? How old are they? They will likely grow out of the habit once they get older. So, for now, if I were you, I would just enjoy their kitten antics. And take lots of pictures. By this time next year, you'll wonder what happened to those teeny little kittens that used to climb all over you.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
cats have their own unique personalities, so no one can say what your kitties will be like as they get older. our HK is almost 20, and he's never stopped lying on us or needing lots of attention. for 8 years, we had jeep, a feral who never wanted to lie on us, and i appreciated that.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you discourage them from lying in your lap, they will eventually give it up, and then the day will come when you would like to have them in your lap, and they won't come.
Exactly. Just put them off (gently) when you have to stand up, don't worry about it. But if you discourage them from sitting on you in any capacity, they just aren't going to do it (or they'll do it more, in classic cat contrariness :D).