How To Get Kitten To Stop Biting

CurlyEmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 3.5 month old kitten. He is very affectionate and playful. However, he bites me and everyone else a lot. He’ll come up to us and bite our finger, hand, elbows, ears, toes, etc. Sometimes they’re soft bites but sometimes they’re hard and they HURT. I tell him “Ow, no!!” But sometimes when I take my hand away he grabs on to it and bites even more. He’ll be cuddling and then kneading and start biting as he kneads too. I try to stop petting him or ignore him if he does but he continues. What should I do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CurlyEmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our boy Duncan was a biter when we first got him. He had no siblings and possibly no mother prior to when we got him at 12 weeks. He bit a lot at night and chased our feet and ankles something fierce.

We watched every "my cat bites" video and read every webpage. Some things helped - play with him before bed and setting a bedtime for us both helped but he was a little kitten who needed and wanted to play. Timeouts worked to a degree as well. We would escalate things: no, then no and put him on the floor a couple of times and then put him in his safe room for 5 minutes. If we couldn't do that, sometimes just saying no and turning around and totally ignoring him worked a bit. Nothing was perfect - he still had way too much energy. And you have to be totally consistent in some things: never play with him with your hands and always say no whenever he bites you.

The last step in every how-to was "get a second cat" so we got Barry. That worked and cut the biting down 99% We still get love bites and play bites here and there, but it is so much more manageable. The two cats spend a lot of time chasing and playing and work their energy out with each other.