How to get kitten to respect boundaries

Animarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a female tabby kitten(about six months). The majority of the time she is a great cat and she is very affectionate but there are times when she really tries my patience. For example when I don't want to hold her because I have other stuff to do she climbs me(sinking claws in me) to force herself in my arms. When I try to gently put her back down she fights me to stay in my arms. She loves to press up against the vocal cords in my neck in a way that is painful when she cuddles me(she only does this to me, no one else). When I prevent her from having access to it(by covering it with my chin and preventing access) she tries to force her way there. I have to keep standing firm on this for literal hours until she sulks and gives up momentarily to try again later. m
She also tries to steal food from me, my husband, and our other pets(even though we always give her the same food and the same amount as the other cat). She will even ignore her own food because it bothers her so much that we or the other cat is eating as well. I tried putting her in another room but she just tries to attack the door and fight to get out to get to the other food. We often continue to put her in another room but it isn't always possible because sometimes someone is sleeping in the other room we have available and they don't want a loud cat in their room in the morning.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully, the article above will give you some ideas on how to curb some of her behavior, but she sounds very needy. The six months you reference - is that her age, or is that how long you have had her? If not her age, how old is she (some people refer to all cats as kittens, so I am never sure)? And, has this behavior been in existence the entire time you have had her? If she lived elsewhere before you, do you know anything about her background?

You can also try things like a ticking clock or a heartbeat toy to see if she might find comfort in those things. And maybe even take a look at another TCS article for clues.
Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hopefully, the article above will give you some ideas on how to curb some of her behavior, but she sounds very needy. The six months you reference - is that her age, or is that how long you have had her? If not her age, how old is she (some people refer to all cats as kittens, so I am never sure)? And, has this behavior been in existence the entire time you have had her?
Six months is her age. She has been doing a lot of this the entire time I had her. We got her from a coworker of my husbands whose cat had kittens. I am not exactly sure what her previous background was. She is quite needy and I try to give her as much love as can.