how to get into showing your cat

1crazysavannah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im curious about getting itno showing our cats. I was just looking to hear from some people about how they got into it? Any tricks or tips? Thanks yall

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started showing a year ago.
I would go to a show and see if you like it before you decide if you want to show or not.
What do you want to know about showing?
I show sphynx and did show a bengal for my sister before.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most everyone starts out with their house cat that they think is the prettiest one on the planet
If they wind up doing well and enjoying things, the person usually starts looking at the purebred cats and moving to that area to show. And most of us usually will alternate between showing purebred and household pets depending on what we have.

For me, I started with my domestic blue tabby & white male in the HHP classes in CFA and ACFA. Then adopted a stunning odd-eye black & white mix off the streets who won tons of rosettes/trophies.

During this time I was looking for a purebred that was like my tabby Mitten. Fell in love with the Russian Blue breed with the same green eye color that Mitten had. My ex wanted a cat and chose the Cornish Rex, so I got into showing and breeding them for about 8 yrs. Now I've retired from breeding but not showing - have an Ocicat that is granded and will be getting another Oci kitten by next year some time.

HHP classes are almost as competitive as the purebreds now - you don't just take a cat off the streets and expect to win that weekend. The basic requirements in the associations are spayed/neutered if 8 months or older and not declawed. CFA bans all declawed cats, ACFA and TICA accept them but don't encourage the procedure. Also your cat will need to be well groomed and given a bath before the show.

If you need links to the associations to check out show calendars, then let us know and we'll help you out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

1crazysavannah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you for the info. unfortunately the cat i would really like to show has been declawed by previous owners. i mean really declawed front and back, i cant believe someon would even do that. so maybe we will have to wait for our savannah to get a bit older

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is terrible.
How old is you Savannah?
I never showed in HHP.
I started with my sphynx.
Since you are in washington I can get some one to teach you how to show.
I have some friends that would help you.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's usually better to start when they are young, so long as your Savanah is over the age required - I think 4 months in the US? - I'd get her in sooner rather than later. Of course you need to have the breeders permission to show the cat.

I don't think you can show Savanah's with CFA.

Agree with mews, it's good to go along to see a show before entering. Most people are friendly and will chat with you (at least over here), just make sure to choose a quiet moment for the breeder/owner.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree show as soon as the kitten is old enough.
Savanah's can not be shown on CFA.
Hell would freeze over before they allowed a Bengal or Savanah in CFA.
I get enough nasty remarks because I showed TY for my sister.

You can show them in TICA though.
It is important you have the breeders permission to show like missymotus said.
(Edit)
I just read your old posts and saw your`cat is 8 months old already.
He is now to old for the kitten class so he will have to be shown in the adult class.
Is he registered already?
Also he would be shown as ANB/Advanced New Breed.
Here is a link to TICA shows.
http://ticamembers.org/calendar/

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think TICA is the only association that allows Savannahs in the show hall or to be shown. I know CFA will not allow any of the wild cat crosses in the show hall - not even as a HHP. ACFA doesn't allow Savannahs either - just the Bengals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

1crazysavannah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well as of 2 days ago axel (our savannah) turned 9 months old. Im positive our breeder would encourage us to show him. We are very involved with her and talk to her on almost a weekly basis. Im also pretty sure we cannot show him as a hybrid or savannah class because he is a f5 and is a marble pattern rather than spotted. Im not sure what category that would put him in but I appreciate all of the help. I would love to talk to someone that is in to this and has some time to spare. I will also be calling our breeder shortly to see what class we should aim for and make sure she is ok with showing him.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I show in CFA and TICA.
I show my Sphynx and will be showing my sisters Bengal when she can not show him.
I showed TY for her but he had to be pts last Nov.
Is he a alter?
I just know Savanahs are ANB class but do not know about the colors.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well if he's not the right pattern for championship classes, then you can only show him in the HHP classes in TICA.

Would be the same for the non-spotted Ocicats - they can't be shown in any classes other then in the household pets. In CFA there was a ticked Ocicat being shown in HHP and did quite well taking a few finals home.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 1crazysavannah

thank you for the info. unfortunately the cat i would really like to show has been declawed by previous owners. i mean really declawed front and back, i cant believe someon would even do that.
You can show declawed household pets in TICA.