How to get feral cat its shots

meterreads

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is a little different from other cats i've caught because 1) he/she seems older, maybe 1 year. 2) he/she isnt by my house, so no socializing has happened. He is near an auto repair shop and the folks there say hes been there since about the winter.

Maybe I shouldnt try to catch him at all, because its not possible for me to socialize him first (its kinda far from my house and i live on my own, it would be costly to go back and forth). But i'll ask your opinions first... If i catch him, should i bring him home (where there are no other animals right now) and work on socializing him (which could take weeks), then bring him to the vet? Or bring him to the vet right away, even though he could be bouncing off the walls, get him vaccinated (maybe neutred too??) then bring him home for some socializing?

I'm worried about two things if i take him home without vaccinating him, 1) if he is sick and i dont know, he could get sicker. 2) if he bites me, and i'm sure he will, i could get sick. Then again, how could the vet give a cat whose never been touched his shots? 

Sorry for the lenght. Great forum by the way.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First, thank you for caring.  Means a lot.

Not sure where you live so some of these suggestions may not apply.

Try to trap him with a humane trap.  Cover the trap with a blanket, cats usually settle down soon thereafter.  Don't try getting him into a cat carrier unless you think he is hungry enough to go into one (with food at very back of cat carrier).

Ideally, you could take the cat to a low cost spay/neuter place where you live, or an organization that deals with TNRing (trap-neuter/spay/return).  Otherwise, after trapping him, immediately take him in to a vet to get neutered, at which time the vet will give him all the necessary shots and vaccinations (de-wormer, de-flearer, rabies).  Neutering itself takes about six minutes.  He can be released that night.

Call around to find a vet who knows how to handle a feral cat.  Let the vet know about the situation beforehead, they are usually understanding and will fit you in. 

Good luck!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi and welcome!

I shall try to answer. Catching is best done be a trap. You must of course look to it now and then, perhaps somebody from the auto repair shop could look if somebody is catched?  This way you would come out just to look WHO got catched (and change the bait).

Try to find a vet who is used with ferales. (so it wont be necessary with socializing before). And agree to come with short notice. If he wants forewarning of 24 hours, dont worry. You CAN have the cat in the trap these 24 hours if necessary. Homeless are used to be hidden many hours if necessary. these hours will also help to cool down some.

After he had cooled down and realizes nobody is really threating him, he wont be aggressive any more. He may hiss, but (almost surely) will not try to actively attack you.

Do have protectice clothes on - gloves, thick jacket and trousers, preferably also googles or glasses.

You are vere brave who coldly count on being severely scratched.  But you dont need to be hurt, if you plan it a little.

Once he has come to your house after the check up, you prepare of course his room (bathroom or big dog cage), let him out from the trap / carrier...  And let him be several hours, for cooling down and making himself comfortable in his new place...  etc...

If he is feral for real, not dumped or astray, the socializing will take more than just a couple of weeks.

But as he is young, it can surely be done, with some knowledge, much patience, a warm heart and love.

A vet check up is always good, as early as possible - most rescuers try to do it immediately. this way, YOU are the one who lets him go out form the trap.  They do also get dewormed, defleased, etc.

Tests for Felv FIV are also usually done.   

He will prob not get more sick at your place.

IF he bites you, cat sickedness does not go over to humans, so a vet check up is not necessary by THIS reason (Im not talking about the very, very remote threat of rabies).

But cat bites and scratches can easily get infected, so IF you got hurt by him, you must treat is immediately as well as you can.

But as said, a cat often defends vigorously when catched, and so it is easy to get bitten. This is NOT any sign they are rabies-stricken. Nor they are really ferale. Entirely normal also for many home cats.

Just let them cool down.

Wrap up them in a towel if necessary...

Continue to ask and report!

Good luck!

Ps. I take it you want to foster him into a home kitty, and perhaps adopt him, or find him a good home?

You can also plan on doing the TNR, ie letting him go back perhaps 12-24 hours after the surgery.

As he did allright till now, he will surely make it on afterwards too. Being neutered makes life as homeless easier for him.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

meterreads

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh thanks guys, i appreciate the advice! ok, my first step will be to look for a vet who is willing to handle a feral cat. I've only called two so far, they seem to want it to be relatively social... I'm going to keep calling around for one who is confident.

I'm going to update later, as i will probably have some questions.

PS: i do have a live trap, and i promise to check it or have it checked often enough so the cat isnt stuck there.  

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be better to look into cloinics/shelters or rescue friendly vets(call local rescues up and ask if they deal with ferals/what vet they use).

I would get him neutered first then if you are to work with him he will be a bit calmer and worst case he can return to his home. His pee will smell very bad before the neuter and if he sprays it will be messy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meterreads

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah its true, he'd be cleaner and safer (for both of us) if i can get him to the vet first.

Great idea detmut, why didnt i think of that? If anyone happens to know a vet in ottawa/barrhaven (i'd even go to gatineau) who is particularily comfortable with ferals, let me know. I've called around myself, and the most confident clinic i've found was on Carling. So if you have no suggestions, dont worry!